Comparing Lagrangians to find sets of values

In summary, the conversation is about finding the most general values for m_1, m_2, and g in a Lagrangian for two coupled fields, in order to make a given transformation a symmetry. The attempt at a solution involves equating two Lagrangians and setting up equations based on this, but the individual is unsure of how to proceed.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys, so this is a follow up from my previous post.

So I have this Lagrangian for two coupled fields:

[itex] \begin{split}
\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{1})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{1})+\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{2})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{2})-\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}\phi_{1}) -\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}\phi_{2})-g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2})^{2}
\end{split}[/itex]

I was given the transformation [itex]\phi_{1}\rightarrow\phi_{1}+\epsilon\phi_{2}, \phi_{2}\rightarrow\phi_{2}-\epsilon\phi_{1}[/itex], which (if I've done it right) yields the following:

[itex] \begin{split}
\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{1})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{1})+\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{2})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{2})-\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}^{2}+2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2}) \\
-\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}^{2}-2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2})-g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2}-\epsilon\phi_{1}^{2}+\epsilon\phi_{2}^{2})^{2}
\end{split}[/itex]Now I have to "Find the most general values for m_1, m_2 and g such that this transformation is a symmetry".

Homework Equations

Apparently there is no coordinate transformation, so I've been told that I need to impose the condition

[itex]\mathcal{L}(\phi',\partial_{\mu}\phi')=\mathcal{L}(\phi,\partial_{\mu}\phi)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So err...am I just meant to equate both Lagrangians? If I do that I end up with the equations:
[itex]\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}^{2}+2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2})=\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}\phi_{1})[/itex]
[itex]\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}^{2}-2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2})=\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}\phi_{2})[/itex]
[itex]g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2})^{2}=g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2}-\epsilon\phi_{1}^{2}+\epsilon\phi_{2}^{2})^{2}[/itex]

And I'm stuck lol...how do I use these to find the most general values for m_1, m_2 and g?

Thank guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that represents the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of a system. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of systems.

2. Why is it important to compare Lagrangians?

Comparing Lagrangians allows us to determine the set of values that will result in the most stable or optimal behavior of a system. It can also help us identify any potential problems or inefficiencies in a system.

3. How do you compare Lagrangians?

To compare Lagrangians, we first need to set them equal to each other and then solve for the variables. This will give us the values that result in the same behavior for both Lagrangians.

4. What types of systems can be analyzed using Lagrangians?

Lagrangians can be used to analyze a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and even economic systems. They are especially useful for systems with multiple variables and complex behaviors.

5. Are there any limitations to comparing Lagrangians?

While comparing Lagrangians can provide valuable insights, it is important to note that it is not always a perfect representation of a system's behavior. There may be other factors or variables that are not accounted for in the Lagrangian, so it should be used as a tool rather than a definitive solution.