Conserved Noether current under SO(3) symmetry of some Lagrangian

In summary: Thank you.In summary, the infinitesimal ##SO(3)## rotation of the vector ##\vec{\phi}## of fields about an arbitrary unit vector ##\vec{n}## by an infinitesimal angle ##\theta## has the form given by ##\delta \phi_{a} = \theta (\vec{n}\times\vec{\phi})_{a} = \theta\epsilon_{abc}n_{b}\phi_{c}##. This transformation does not consider a transformation of the spacetime coordinates, but rather directly considers an internal transformation of the field configurations themselves. The state of a system governed by the Lagrangian density ##\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_{\
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Verify that the Lagrangian density ##\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}\phi_{a}\partial^{\mu}\phi_{a}-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi_{a}\phi_{a}## for a triplet of real fields ##\phi_{a} (a=1,2,3)## is invariant under the infinitesimal ##SO(3)## rotation by ##\theta##, i.e., ##\phi_{a} \rightarrow \phi_{a} + \theta \epsilon_{abc}n_{b}\phi_{c}##, where ##n_a## is a unit vector.

Compute the Noether current ##j^{\mu}##.

Deduce that the three quantities ##Q_{a}=\int d^{3}x\ \epsilon_{abc}\ \dot{\phi}_{b}\phi_{c}## are all conserved and verify this directly using the field equations satisfied by ##\phi_{a}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I verify the invariance of the Lagrangian density ##\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}\phi_{a}\partial^{\mu}\phi_{a}-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi_{a}\phi_{a}## for a triplet of real fields ##\phi_{a} (a=1,2,3)## under the given infinitesimal ##SO(3)## rotation,

I need to understand why an infinitesimal ##SO(3)## rotation of the field ##\phi_{a}## by ##\theta## has the form given by ##\phi_{a} \rightarrow \phi_{a} + \theta \epsilon_{abc}n_{b}\phi_{c}##, where ##n_a## is a unit vector.

I understand that ##\epsilon_{abc}n_{b}\phi_{c} = (\vec{n} \times \vec{\phi})_{a}## denotes the three components of a cross product between a unit vector ##\vec{n} = (n_{a},n_{b},n_{c})## and the vector ##\vec{\phi}=(\phi_{a},\phi_{b},\phi_{c})## of fields.

I have three questions to ask:

1. Is ##\theta## an infinitesimal angle?
2. What determines the components of the unit vector ##\vec{n}##?
3. Why is ##\delta \phi_{a}## given by the scalar product of ##\theta## and ##(\vec{n} \times \vec{\phi})_{a}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes.
2. It is an arbitrary vector, the vector you rotate about.
3. There is no scalar product here. ##\theta## is an angle, not a vector.

Orodruin said:
3. There is no scalar product here. θθ\theta is an angle, not a vector.

I meant the scalar multiplication of the scalar ##\theta## and the vector ##\vec{n} \times \phi##. Sorry for the confusion. It is, indeed, a scalar multiplication, is it not?

I think I'm now beginning to understand the form of the ##SO(3)## rotation of the vector ##\vec{\phi}## of fields about the arbitrary unit vector ##\vec{n}## by an infinitesimal angle ##\theta##.

My difficulty lay with the visualisation of the space within which the rotation takes place. I think I have now cleared my confusion. Let me explain:

Unlike transformations such as translations and Lorentz transformations, which transform spacetime coordinates and thereby induce a transformation of the field configuration(s), this example does not consider a transformation of the spacetime coordinates, but rather directly considers an internal transformation of the field configurations themselves. To understand the transformation, we need to visualise a right-handed coordinate system where the internal points are labelled by a triplet of real fields ##\phi_{a} (a=1,2,3)##. Each of the internal points corresponds to a triplet of real fields ##\phi_{a} (a=1,2,3)##, and therefore each of the internal points can be labelled by the vector ##\vec{\phi} = (\phi_{a},\phi_{b},\phi_{c})##. The state of a system governed by the Lagrangian density ##\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}\phi_{a}\partial^{\mu}\phi_{a}-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi_{a}\phi_{a}## is given by some internal point ##(\phi_{a},\phi_{b},\phi_{c})## in this internal space. We can imagine various transformations of this internal point. (The Lagrangian density may or may be invariant under any of these transformations.) One particular transformation is the ##SO(3)## rotation of the internal point ##(\phi_{a},\phi_{b},\phi_{c})##, or equivalently, of the vector ##\vec{\phi}=(\phi_{a},\phi_{b},\phi_{c})## of fields, about an arbitrary unit vector ##\vec{n}## by an infinitesimal angle ##\theta##. The form of the rotations is therefore given by ##\delta \phi_{a} = \theta (\vec{n}\times\vec{\phi})_{a} = \theta\epsilon_{abc}n_{b}\phi_{c}##.

Am I correct?

If someone could please tell me if my understanding of the internal space of fields (within which the infinitesimal ##SO(3)## rotation is taking place) is correct, then I could proceed with solving the problem.

What is a conserved Noether current?

A conserved Noether current is a mathematical quantity that remains constant over time in a physical system. It is derived from a symmetry in the system, and is closely related to the principle of conservation of energy.

What does the SO(3) symmetry refer to in this context?

The SO(3) symmetry refers to a specific type of symmetry in a physical system, specifically rotation symmetry in three-dimensional space. It is a group of transformations that leave the system unchanged, and is often used in describing the behavior of particles and fields.

How is the conserved Noether current related to the Lagrangian?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. The conserved Noether current is derived from the Lagrangian, specifically through the use of Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry in the Lagrangian, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity.

Why is the existence of a conserved Noether current important?

The existence of a conserved Noether current is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a physical system. It provides a way to understand the symmetries present in the system and how they affect its dynamics, and can also be used to derive other important physical quantities, such as energy and momentum.

Are there other types of symmetries that can lead to conserved Noether currents?

Yes, there are other types of symmetries besides SO(3) that can lead to conserved Noether currents. These include time translation symmetry, space translation symmetry, and gauge symmetries. Each type of symmetry leads to a different conserved quantity, and they are all important in understanding the dynamics of physical systems.