Comparison of Different Mammalian Brains

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparison
In summary: I'm not sure. It might be something about the angle of the image that makes it look off.In summary, the different brains at this scale have differences in mass and neuronal number. The crow with the nut uses a variety of strategies to compete with the other crow for the nut. Some of the differences in mass and neuronal number may be due to the agouti's different method of eating.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This shows brains from several different (mostly primates and rodents) at the same scale. Obtained from here.
The weight is listed in grams, the (purported) number of neurons is in millions(M). Estimates of neuronal numbers are difficult. Sadly they are not all pointing the same direction.

fnhum-03-031-g003.jpg

Likes jim mcnamara and Drakkith
Biology news on Phys.org
Then there are crows, average sized birds with pea sized brains.
I have seen crows finding a resources such as rubbish bin, and shortly several other crows get invited to the find.
That seems to me to be pretty sophisticated behaviour.

Crow are pretty amazing. Some are known for tool use.

I spent a bit of time a couple of years ago watching a couple of crows trying to outsmart each other.
One had a walnut and was trying to drop it on the street to break it, so it could eat the insides. It had to get pretty high to get a good impact.
The other crow was following the first crow around so that it could beat it to the nut when it broke.
The crow with the nut was using a variety of strategies to fake out the second one is it would be the first to the ground where the nut landed.
I never saw them break it open though.

There is an old concept: encephalization quotient. This seems to be a pretty good graphic interpretation of that. Thanks.

By 'they are not all pointing in the same direction' I'm guessing you mean mass, e.g., agouti is an outlier. Maybe the neuronal count estimate has a problem?

Read the linked article. They are indeed modeling EQ.

jim mcnamara said:
By 'they are not all pointing in the same direction' I'm guessing you mean mass, e.g., agouti is an outlier. Maybe the neuronal count estimate has a problem?

Nope. Sorry, my poor wording.
The anterior ends of the brains are not all on the left or right side.

Bottom row, anterior is to the: left.
Row above, from left to right, anterior is the: right, left, left
Next row up, anterior is to the: right, left, right, left, left
Top row, anterior is to the: right, right, left, left, right, left, right

It is graphically inconsistent, which really bugs me.

It is interesting though that the agouti has more mass but fewer neurons than the galago or owl monkey.

Well, since they could run out and just dissect out the needed brains they probably were stuck with images they already had - although I guess it would have been possible to photoshop some of them. My thinking is that messing with scientific images in that sense is not an ethical approach.

Hmm.

I think it would be pretty easy and not affect the integrity of the images to flip them to the opposite direction.

Would be interesting to know the extent of synaptic connections in each. The purkinje neuron in the human brain, for example, has about 20,000 connections. I wonder if any of the other mammalian brains come even close to this number. And even more so, how extensive the connections are fed-back in each brain. I went though the article and the number of connections were only mentioned in passing. Seems to me a better ranking of cognition are these two parameters and I suspect the human brain is more so than any other.

Lots of (or all) vertebrates have Purkinje cells. They are the main output neuron from the cerebellum. It would not surprise me if other mammals have similar number of synapses on their Purkinje cells.

The cerebellum is a large structure found a the back of the brain in all vertebrates. Most fish have small cerebellums, but it gets really large in mammals and birds. The cerebellum is mostly associated with coordination of muscle activity and dealing with sensory inputs, in particular from ear (hearing), vestibular structures (balance), and the lateral line (only in fish and amphibians). Some fish (such as electro-receptive fish) also have large cerebellums.

The cerebral cortex (in the cerebrum) is what is usually associated with "smarts". It is often compared based on surface area, numbers of layers, neuron count, and synapses.

It looks graphically consistent with the way the brains sit inside the skulls of all the animals displayed. Each image looks like an anterior/left to posterior/right perspective to me. All like so:
3D_model_anat_skull_web1.jpg

The ones that seem off, like the squirrel monkey, are because the brain sits that way backwards inside the skull.
product-740-main-main-big-1415040534.jpg

Fervent Freyja said:
The ones that seem off, like the squirrel monkey, are because the brain sits that way backwards inside the skull.
There are no brains I know of that sit backwards in their skulls.
The human (and some monkeys) brain would have its spinal cord going in a more downward direction than in most mammals, if it were shown (like it is in the macaque or owl monkey).
The squirrel monkey brain has it anterior to the left. The olfactory bulb is a little blip at the very anterior-most end (left).

Anatomical cues for anterior vs. posterior include the locations of:
Spinal cord (at posterior end, ventral, in many shown extends past the cerebellum).
Cerebellum (small parallel gyri (or gyruses) or branchy cauliflower like structure if sectioned), posterior to the cerebral hemispheres, above the hindbrain/spinal cord.
Olfactory bulb (blob-like structure, very variable sizes and shapes in different species); at anterior end.
Division in the cerebrum between the temporal lobe and pariental/frontal lobes of brain (when shown) slopes up as it goes posterior.

http://www.nature.com/nprot/journal/v2/n11/images/nprot.2007.393-F1.jpg. The cerebrum, cerebral hemispheres, and cerebral cortex are components of the telencephalon in this picture.

1. How do mammalian brains differ from each other?

The main differences between mammalian brains are in size, structure, and complexity. Larger mammals tend to have larger brains with more complex structures, while smaller mammals have smaller and simpler brains. Additionally, different species may have specialized brain regions for specific functions, such as echolocation in bats or social behaviors in primates.

2. Are there any similarities in mammalian brains?

Despite their differences, all mammalian brains share some common features. For example, all mammalian brains have a cerebral cortex, which is responsible for higher cognitive functions. They also have a cerebellum, which controls movement and balance, and a brainstem, which is responsible for basic functions like breathing and heartbeat.

3. How does the brain size of different mammalian species compare?

The size of mammalian brains can vary greatly, with the largest brain belonging to the sperm whale and the smallest belonging to the Etruscan shrew. Generally, larger mammals have larger brains, but this is not always the case. For example, elephants have larger brains than humans, but they also have larger bodies, so their brain-to-body ratio is similar.

4. Is there a correlation between brain size and intelligence in mammals?

There is no clear correlation between brain size and intelligence in mammals. Some smaller mammals, such as dolphins and primates, have relatively large brains and are considered intelligent, while some larger mammals, such as whales and elephants, have smaller brains but still exhibit complex behaviors and problem-solving abilities.

5. How do primates' brains compare to other mammalian brains?

Primates, including humans, have some unique features in their brains that distinguish them from other mammals. For example, they have a relatively larger cerebral cortex, which is associated with higher cognitive functions like language and problem-solving. They also have a larger prefrontal cortex, which is involved in decision-making and social behaviors.