Completing satellite's state vector by given info

In summary, the conversation discusses a satellite orbiting Earth with a period time of 110 minutes and the state vectors at the ascending node and northernmost latitude. The question asks to complete the vectors and find the orbit's elements. The equations and rules for solving this problem are mentioned, including the use of vector calculus and the knowledge that the latitude at the northernmost point is equal to the inclination angle. It is determined that the perigee angle must be 90 degrees and the northernmost point will remain at this angle from the ascending node.
CptHeadCrab

Homework Statement

A satellite is orbiting Earth with a period time of T=110 min.
At the ascending node, the state vector of the satellite is rAN =[4500 7100 ?]T km
At the northernmost latitude, the state vector of the satellite is rn=[1700 ? 7000]T km. The question marks imply that the information is missing.

The question asks to complete the vectors, and find orbit's elements: a, e, i, ω, Ω

Homework Equations

Given a state vector of a satellite, rAN =[x y z]T km
the latitude is:
upload_2015-4-19_9-41-23.png

there is also the following Kepler rule:
upload_2015-4-19_9-44-7.png

and the 2 body problem generalized solution:
upload_2015-4-19_9-57-4.png

where:
upload_2015-4-19_9-59-2.png

though i don't think the last two would help solving the missing vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well completing the rAN is quite easy as it's known that the ascending node is at the equator plane, thus: rAN =[4500 7100 0]T km.

It is also known that the latitude of the northernmost point is the inclination angle (i).

Finding a (the semi major axis) is possible by knowing period time:
upload_2015-4-19_9-38-1.png

was trying to use cross product of rAN and rn and thought that the angle between them is the latitude, but then i figured out i was completely wrong.

I think there's some vector calculus to be done but not sure what exactly.
Your help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the angle between the two vectors must be 90 degrees? It might not be the perigee point. Just figured it out by playing with the perigee angle..the northernmost point will remain 90 degrees from the ascending node. What do you guys think?

1. How do you complete a satellite's state vector?

Completing a satellite's state vector involves using given information, such as its position and velocity, to determine its current state in space. This is usually done using mathematical equations and computer algorithms.

2. What kind of information is needed to complete a satellite's state vector?

To complete a satellite's state vector, we need information about its position, velocity, and time. This information can be obtained through tracking data from ground stations or other satellites.

3. Why is completing a satellite's state vector important?

The state vector of a satellite is crucial for accurately predicting its future position and trajectory. It is also necessary for maintaining the satellite's orbit and ensuring its proper functioning.

4. What challenges are involved in completing a satellite's state vector?

One of the main challenges in completing a satellite's state vector is dealing with uncertainties and errors in the given information. These can be caused by factors such as atmospheric drag and gravitational perturbations from other objects in space.

5. How often should a satellite's state vector be updated?

The frequency of updating a satellite's state vector depends on the specific needs and requirements of the mission. In general, it is recommended to update the state vector at least once per orbit to ensure accuracy.