Completing the Square Homework Statement

• Thread starter denjay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, by completing the square, it is shown that a simple change of variables can simplify the potential for a charged particle in a harmonic potential and an external electric field, turning it into a problem of a particle under only a harmonic oscillator potential.
denjay

Homework Statement

Consider a charged particle of mass m in a harmonic potential and in the presence also of an
external electric field E = E[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]. The potential for this problem is simply

V(x) = 1/2 mw[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - qεx

where q is the charge of the particle.

1) Show that a simple change of variables turns this problem into one of a particle under
only a harmonic oscillator potential. (Hint: Complete the square.)

Homework Equations

(ax-b)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = a[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - 2abx + b[itex]^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the way to simplify the potential is by completing the square. I only know the way of completing the square when a quadratic equation is equal to 0 but in this case it's a function. So with that formula for (ax-b)[itex]^{2}[/itex] I believe 1/2 mw[itex]^{2}[/itex] is a[itex]^{2}[/itex] and -2ab is -qε but I'm unsure.

So what I got was that b = qε/(2mw[itex]^{2}[/itex]) so the equation is

V(x) = 1/2 mw[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - qεx + q[itex]^{2}[/itex]ε[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2m[itex]w^{2}[/itex] - q[itex]^{2}[/itex]ε[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2m[itex]w^{2}[/itex] = ([itex]\sqrt{1/2 mw^{2}}x[/itex] - qε/[itex]\sqrt{2mw^2}[/itex])^2 - q[itex]^{2}[/itex]ε[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2m[itex]w^{2}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
denjay said:

Homework Statement

Consider a charged particle of mass m in a harmonic potential and in the presence also of an
external electric field E = E[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]. The potential for this problem is simply

V(x) = 1/2 mw[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - qεx

where q is the charge of the particle.

1) Show that a simple change of variables turns this problem into one of a particle under
only a harmonic oscillator potential. (Hint: Complete the square.)

Homework Equations

(ax-b)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = a[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - 2abx + b[itex]^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the way to simplify the potential is by completing the square. I only know the way of completing the square when a quadratic equation is equal to 0 but in this case it's a function. So with that formula for (ax-b)[itex]^{2}[/itex] I believe 1/2 mw[itex]^{2}[/itex] is a[itex]^{2}[/itex] and -2ab is -qε but I'm unsure.

You don't have to have an equation. Here's an example, complete the square on: ##2x^2-12x##. You factor out the ##2## getting ##2(x^2-6x)##. Now inside the parentheses you need a ##9## so add it and subtract it: ##2(x^2-6x + 9 - 9)## which is the same as ##2(x-3)^2 - 18##. Try something like that.

Cool yeah, I did it the way you suggested and got the same answer as I did in my original post. Thanks!

Related to Completing the Square Homework Statement

What is "Completing the Square" and why is it important?

Completing the Square is a method used to solve quadratic equations. It involves manipulating the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be easily factored. This method is important because it allows us to find the solutions to quadratic equations, which are often used in various fields of science and mathematics.

How do you complete the square?

To complete the square, follow these steps:
1. Make sure the equation is in the form ax² + bx + c = 0.
2. Take half of the coefficient of the x term and square it.
3. Add this value to both sides of the equation.
4. Factor the perfect square trinomial on the left side of the equation.
5. Simplify the right side of the equation if necessary.
6. Solve for x using the square root property.
7. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

What are the applications of Completing the Square in science?

Completing the Square has many applications in science, including:
- Solving projectile motion problems in physics
- Finding the maximum or minimum values of quadratic functions in optimization problems
- Calculating the orbit of planets and satellites in astronomy
- Modeling population growth in biology
- Analyzing the stability of systems in engineering

Can all quadratic equations be solved using Completing the Square?

Yes, all quadratic equations can be solved using Completing the Square. However, it may not always be the most efficient method. In some cases, factoring or using the quadratic formula may be quicker and easier.

Are there any other methods for solving quadratic equations?

Yes, there are several other methods for solving quadratic equations, including:
- Factoring
- Using the quadratic formula
- Graphing
- Using the quadratic equation solver on a calculator
- Trial and error
Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of equations or problems.