Confusion about Dirac notation

In summary: So, in this case,$$\langle n|m\rangle = 0$$which means that ##(\hat{a} + \hat{a}^\dagger)## is a unit vector in the ##\hat{a}##-space.
Philip Land
Using that ##\hat{a} =a = \sqrt{\frac{mw}{2 \hbar}} \hat{x} +\frac{i}{\sqrt{2mw \hbar}} \hat{p}## and ## a \dagger = \sqrt{\frac{mw}{2 \hbar}} \hat{x} -\frac{i}{\sqrt{2mw \hbar}} \hat{p}##

We can solve for x in term of the lowering and raising operator.

Now, recently I read a derivation of ##<n| \hat{x} |m> (1)##.

Question 1: n and m were never specified, so what does the above expression actually mean?

By substitution, we can rewrite (1) to ##\sqrt{\frac{ \hbar}{2mw}} <n| (a + a \dagger )|m>##(2)

Question 2: I'm a little confused about how I can simplify the above expression. I'm not super familiar with Dirac notation. I know very well the definition of the raising and lowering operators. But can someone fill in the blanks of how they get from (2) to ## \sqrt{\frac{ \hbar}{2mw}} \cdot ( \sqrt{m} \delta_{n, m-1} + \sqrt{m+1} \delta_{n, m+1})##? No relation between n and m is defined.

That is not clear to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
More context would be necessary for 100% certainty, but these appear to be eigenkets of the harmonic oscillator, such that
$$
\hat{H} | n \rangle = \hbar \omega \left(n + \frac{1}{2} \right) | n \rangle
$$

As for the second question, you need to know the action of the raising and lowering operators of those eigenkets: ##\hat{a} | n \rangle = ?##. I'll let you look it up in your textbook.

Likes Demystifier
DrClaude said:
More context would be necessary for 100% certainty, but these appear to be eigenkets of the harmonic oscillator, such that
$$
\hat{H} | n \rangle = \hbar \omega \left(n + \frac{1}{2} \right) | n \rangle
$$

As for the second question, you need to know the action of the raising and lowering operators of those eigenkets: ##\hat{a} | n \rangle = ?##. I'll let you look it up in your textbook.
Yes you are right that we are looking at harmonic oscillators.

And yes I know the definitions of the ladder operators (figure attached).

Skärmavbild 2018-11-18 kl. 13.45.18.png

But I still don't follow, because I don't know how to apply the sum of the ladder operators on the two states with the Dirac-notation in (2). Simply an algebra problem.

Can I rewrite (2) so I can see perhaps more clearly about what's going on?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2018-11-18 kl. 13.45.18.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-11-18 kl. 13.45.18.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 346
So given those facts about ##\hat{a}## and ##\hat{a}^\dagger##, you immediately get:

##(\hat{a} + \hat{a}^\dagger) |m\rangle = \sqrt{m} |m -1\rangle + \sqrt{m+1} |m+1\rangle##

The final fact that you need is: What is the value of ##\langle n|m\rangle##? The whole point of an orthonormal basis is that different basis elements are orthogonal (they give 0 inner product).

Likes Philip Land

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and operators. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in modern physics.

2. What is the significance of the bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics?

Dirac notation simplifies the representation and manipulation of quantum states and operators. It allows for a more intuitive understanding of concepts such as superposition, measurement, and time evolution in quantum mechanics.

3. How is Dirac notation used in calculations?

In Dirac notation, the quantum state, also known as a ket, is represented by the symbol ⟨⟩, while the dual state, also known as a bra, is represented by the symbol ⟩⟨. Operators, such as the Hamiltonian or momentum, are represented by letters inside the ⟨⟩ or ⟩⟨ symbols. To perform calculations, these symbols are manipulated using mathematical operations such as addition, multiplication, and integration.

4. What are some common mistakes when using Dirac notation?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the inner product symbol ⟨⟩ when calculating expectation values. Another is confusing the bra and ket notation, which can result in incorrect calculations or interpretations of quantum states.

5. Are there any alternative notations for Dirac notation?

Yes, there are alternative notations such as matrix notation and wave function notation. However, Dirac notation is still widely used due to its simplicity and ease of use in calculations.