Complex analysis continuity of functions

Therefore, the extended function is continuous at z=0.In summary, the functions Re(z)/|z|, z/|z|, Re(z^2)/|z|^2, and zRe(z)/|z| can all be defined at the point z=0 in such a way that the extended functions are continuous at z=0, but the only function that can be defined in this way is f(z)=zRe(z)/|z|, f(0)=0. This is proven by showing that the limit of this function at z=0 exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. The other three functions do not have this property and therefore cannot be extended in a way that makes
saraaaahhhhhh

Homework Statement

The functions Re(z)/|z|, z/|z|, Re(z^2)/|z|^2, and zRe(z)/|z| are all defined for z!=0 (z is not equal to 0)
Which of them can be defined at the point z=0 in such a way that the extended functions are continuous at z=0?

It gives the answer to be:
Only f(z)=zRe(z)/|z|, f(0)=0

I see that f(0)=0 in this case, but I don't see how this is proven or shown. I don't see why the last equation works and the first three don't.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely unsure of how to do this, I would have something if I even knew where to start. Maybe I'm confused about what extended functions are?

A link to the book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Oy...ver&dq=introductory+complex+analysis#PPA37,M1

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to have a clear understanding of the terminology and concepts being used. In this case, the term "extended functions" refers to the extension of a function to include values at points where it is not originally defined. In this problem, the original functions are only defined for z!=0, but the question is asking which of them can be extended to include a value at z=0 in a way that makes the extended function continuous at that point.

To show that f(z)=zRe(z)/|z|, f(0)=0 is the only function that can be defined in this way, we can use the definition of continuity. A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

For the first three functions, Re(z)/|z|, z/|z|, and Re(z^2)/|z|^2, we can see that they are not continuous at z=0 because the limit of each of these functions as z approaches 0 does not exist. This can be seen by approaching 0 from different directions and getting different values for the limit.

For the last function, zRe(z)/|z|, we can use the definition of the derivative to show that it is continuous at z=0. The derivative of this function is given by f'(z) = Re(z) - |z|/|z| = Re(z)-1. As z approaches 0, Re(z) also approaches 0, so f'(z) approaches -1. This means that the limit of the function as z approaches 0 is equal to the value of the function at z=0, which is 0. Therefore, this function is continuous at z=0.

In conclusion, the only function that can be extended to include a value at z=0 in a way that makes the extended function continuous at that point is f(z)=zRe(z)/|z|, f(0)=0. This is because the limit of this function at z=0 exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

Related to Complex analysis continuity of functions

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex variables. It involves the study of complex numbers, which are numbers that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. Complex analysis is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is continuity in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, continuity refers to the property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, a function is considered continuous if it has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph. This concept is important in understanding how complex functions behave and how they can be manipulated.

3. How is continuity of a complex function defined?

The continuity of a complex function is defined in the same way as it is for real functions. A function f(z) is said to be continuous at a point z0 if the limit of f(z) as z approaches z0 exists and is equal to f(z0). In other words, the function has no abrupt changes at that point and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

4. What is the importance of continuity in complex analysis?

Continuity is an important concept in complex analysis because it allows us to study the behavior of functions and their properties. In particular, continuity is a crucial property for differentiating and integrating complex functions. It also helps us understand the behavior of complex functions near singularities or points where the function is not defined.

5. How is continuity of a complex function tested?

To test the continuity of a complex function, we can use the properties of continuity such as the limit definition or the epsilon-delta definition. We can also use theorems such as the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Extreme Value Theorem to determine if a function is continuous. In some cases, we may also need to use graphical or numerical methods to determine the continuity of a complex function.