Complex analysis integral

In summary, the student is trying to find a solution to the homework equation sinx/x^4 over the unit circle using Cauchy's residue theorem, but is having difficulty. They get the general term for sin(x) by expanding the power series, but are having difficulty finding the single pole.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

evaluate sinx/x^4 over the unit circle

Homework Equations

Cauchys Residue theorem
##sinz=1/(2i)(z+1/z)##

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have a branch point at z=0 but its of order 4 so I can't see any direct way of using Cauchys residue theorem. I've tried changing the sin expression to as above but simply end up with poles of order 3 and 5, which again doesn't help me.

So I tried defining a new contour essentially around the unit circle, but also enclosing the branch point by traveling back along the real axis at some small value of y. By Cauchy's residue theorem the integral along this combined contour is zero since no poles are enclosed. Redefining ##z=e^(i*theta)## for the integral along the outer circle, ##z=x+ie_0## along the path from ##x to e_0##, ##z=e_0e^(i*theta)## around the small inner circle, and ##z=x+ie_0## for the line running just above the real axis from ##e_0 to x##. But I'm not sure how to proceed from here, nor how to cary out any of the integrals.

Many thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Physgeek64 said:

Homework Statement

evaluate sinx/x^4 over the unit circle

I think you're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. You know the power series for sine:

[itex]sin(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{6} + \frac{x^5}{120} + ... [/itex] (the general term is [itex](-1)^n \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/itex])

So [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x^4} = \frac{1}{x^3} - \frac{1}{6x} + \frac{x}{120} + ... [/itex] (the general term is [itex](-1)^n \frac{x^{2n-3}}{(2n+1)!}[/itex])

You can just integrate each term separately around the unit circle.

Your expression for [itex]sin(x)[/itex] has something wrong with it. It should be:

[itex]sin(x) = \frac{e^{ix} - e^{-ix}}{2i}[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
I think you're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. You know the power series for sine:

[itex]sin(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{6} + \frac{x^5}{120} + ... [/itex] (the general term is [itex](-1)^n \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/itex])

So [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x^4} = \frac{1}{x^3} - \frac{1}{6x} + \frac{x}{120} + ... [/itex] (the general term is [itex](-1)^n \frac{x^{2n-3}}{(2n+1)!}[/itex])

Your expression for [itex]sin(x)[/itex] has something wrong with it. It should be:

Oh okay, so is it okay to use the expansion to expose the single pole?

Thank you for the reply :)

Oops, my mistake, Thank you

stevendaryl said:

Just to check I got [itex] - \frac{pi*i}{3} [/itex]

1. What is complex analysis integral?

Complex analysis integral is a branch of mathematics that deals with the integration of complex-valued functions. It involves the study of complex numbers, complex functions, and their properties, and allows for the evaluation of integrals in the complex plane.

2. How is complex analysis integral different from real analysis integral?

Complex analysis integral differs from real analysis integral in several ways. In complex analysis, the integrand and the integration interval are both complex numbers, whereas in real analysis, they are both real numbers. Additionally, complex analysis allows for integration along curves in the complex plane, while real analysis only deals with integration along straight lines.

3. What are the applications of complex analysis integral?

Complex analysis integral has many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of mathematics. It is used to solve problems in fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, signal processing, and quantum mechanics, among others. It also plays a crucial role in the development of other mathematical theories, such as Fourier analysis and number theory.

4. What are the main techniques used in complex analysis integral?

There are several techniques used in complex analysis integral, including the Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and contour integration. These techniques involve manipulating complex functions and their properties to evaluate integrals in the complex plane. Other techniques, such as residue theory and the method of steepest descent, are also commonly used.

5. What are some common challenges in solving complex analysis integrals?

One of the main challenges in solving complex analysis integrals is understanding the behavior of complex functions and their properties. This requires a solid understanding of complex numbers, their geometric representation, and their algebraic manipulation. Additionally, the choice of contour and the identification of singularities can also present challenges in evaluating complex integrals.