Complex conjugation operator

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions. The first question involves determining if a given operator is unitary, Hermitian, or a projector, and then finding its eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. The second question involves finding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for a complex conjugation operator acting on complex functions. The person seeking help is struggling with proving the operator is a projector and finding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions in the |Φi> basis. They also do not know where to start with the second question.
MrRobot

Homework Statement

Hi, so I have been given the following operator in terms of 3 orthonormal states |Φi>

A = |Φ2><Φ2| + |Φ3><Φ3| - i|Φ1><Φ2| - |Φ1><Φ3| + i|Φ2><Φ1| - |Φ3><Φ1|
So I need to determine whether A is unitary and/or Hermitian and/or a projector and then calculate the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions in the |Φi> basis.

The second question is to find eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the complex conjugation operator acting on complex functions, Cα(x) = α*(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first one I said it is an operator because, it cannot be unitary since AAτ ≠ unit matrix and not hermitian since A ≠ A, but now I fail to show A2 = A in order to prove that it is actually a projector. please help if there is an easier way.

The second part of the question am just failing to use that A in the formula A|Φi> = a|Φi> to find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

The second question I don't know where to even start.
Please help, thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
MrRobot said:
but now I fail to show A2 = A in order to prove that it is actually a projector. please help if there is an easier way.
Please provide your actual attempt.

MrRobot said:
The second question I don't know where to even start.
What is the definition of an eigenfunction? How does complex conjugation act on a general complex function?

1. What is a complex conjugation operator?

A complex conjugation operator is a mathematical operation that takes a complex number and returns its conjugate, which is the complex number with the sign of the imaginary component flipped. For example, if the complex number is 3+4i, the conjugate would be 3-4i.

2. How is a complex conjugation operator represented?

The complex conjugation operator is typically represented by a bar or an asterisk above the complex number. For example, the conjugate of z would be written as either z̄ or z*.

3. What is the purpose of a complex conjugation operator?

The complex conjugation operator is used in a variety of mathematical applications, such as finding the roots of a polynomial, solving differential equations, and simplifying complex expressions. It is also useful in visualizing and understanding complex numbers in the complex plane.

4. Can the complex conjugation operator be applied to all complex numbers?

Yes, the complex conjugation operator can be applied to any complex number, whether it is in rectangular form (a+bi) or polar form (re). The resulting conjugate will also be a complex number.

5. Is the complex conjugation operator commutative?

Yes, the complex conjugation operator is commutative, which means that the order in which it is applied does not change the result. In other words, the conjugate of the conjugate of a complex number will always be the original complex number.