Complex Ion Chemistry: NH3 + Copper 2

In summary, the conversation discusses a search for information on complex ion chemistry, specifically the formation of Cu(NH3)4 and its color change. One source mentions the inclusion of 2 water molecules while another does not. The correct structure is believed to include the water molecules in an aqueous environment. The conversation ends with a request for additional online sources on the topic.
scott_alexsk
Hello,

I have been searching for sites recently on complex ion chemistry and I have found a few good hits, but sometimes it seems the authors are vague as to the actual complex formed, and which complex actually causes the color change. For example for NH3 mixed with Copper 2, one source says that Cu (NH3)4 is formed while another throws on 2 H20s. Which is correct?

-scott

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I believe that the structure with the two water molecules is correct, assuming that the complex was formed in an aqueous environment.

Thanks, for that, but do you know any good online sources. I have already found a few good sites, but I would like to familiarize myself with as much information as possible.

-scott

1. What is a complex ion in chemistry?

A complex ion is a molecule or ion in which a central metal ion is surrounded by ligands, which are molecules or ions that bond to the metal ion through coordinate covalent bonds. These bonds result in the formation of a coordination complex, also known as a complex ion.

2. How does ammonia (NH3) form a complex ion with copper 2 (Cu2+)?

Ammonia (NH3) has a lone pair of electrons on its nitrogen atom, which allows it to act as a ligand and bond to the copper 2 (Cu2+) ion through coordinate covalent bonds. This results in the formation of a complex ion, [Cu(NH3)4]2+, in which four ammonia molecules are bonded to a central copper 2 ion.

3. What is the significance of complex ion chemistry in industry?

Complex ion chemistry plays a crucial role in many industrial processes, such as metal extraction, catalysis, and electroplating. Complex ions can also be used to stabilize metal ions in solution, making them more soluble and thus enhancing their reactivity in chemical reactions.

4. Can complex ion chemistry be used in environmental applications?

Yes, complex ion chemistry has many environmental applications. For example, complex ions can be used to remove heavy metal ions from water sources, making them safer for consumption. They can also be used in the treatment of industrial wastewater to remove toxic metal ions before they are released into the environment.

5. How is the stability of a complex ion determined?

The stability of a complex ion is determined by the strength of the bonds between the metal ion and the ligands. This can be affected by factors such as the charge and size of the metal ion, the charge and size of the ligands, and the presence of other molecules or ions in the solution that may compete for bonding with the metal ion.