Complex Matrix in vector norm

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the relationship between complex conjugate matrices and transposed matrices. The formula to be proved is (Y^*) * X = complex conjugate of {(X^*) * Y}, where ^* represents complex conjugation. The conversation also mentions the use of the transpose of a matrix and the adjoint matrix in the proof. Finally, the summary provides a helpful formula for solving the proof.
kokolo
TL;DR Summary: For every Complex matrix proove that: (Y^*) * X = complex conjugate of {(X^*) * Y}

Here (Y^*) and (X^*) is equal to complex conjugate of (Y^T) and complex conjugate of (X^T) where T presents transponse of matrix
I think we need to use (A*B)^T= (B^T) * (A^T) and
Can you help me proove this cause I'm really stuck,
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
kokolo said:
TL;DR Summary: For every Complex matrix proove that: (Y^*) * X = complex conjugate of {(X^*) * Y}

Here (Y^*) and (X^*) is equal to complex conjugate of (Y^T) and complex conjugate of (X^T) where T presents transponse of matrix
I think we need to use (A*B)^T= (B^T) * (A^T) and
Can you help me proove this cause I'm really stuck,
Thanks in advance
What do you know? What does ^* mean? Can you prove it for a single complex number, a ##1\times 1## matrix?

By the way: Here is explained how you can type formulas on PF: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

fresh_42 said:
What do you know? What does ^* mean? Can you prove it for a single complex number, a ##1\times 1## matrix?

By the way: Here is explained how you can type formulas on PF: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
## Y^* X= \overline{X^* Y}##

I have difficulties understanding what this is all about. Say ##\overline{X}## means the complex conjugate, ##X^T## means the transposed matrix, and ##X^\dagger=\overline{X}^T## the adjoint matrix (conjugate and transposed). Also, please write the multiplication ##X\cdot Y## with a dot. With these notations, what do you need to prove?

Likes DaveE
fresh_42 said:
I have difficulties understanding what this is all about. Say ##\overline{X}## means the complex conjugate, ##X^T## means the transposed matrix, and ##X^\dagger=\overline{X}^T## the adjoint matrix (conjugate and transposed). Also, please write the multiplication ##X\cdot Y## with a dot. With these notations, what do you need to prove?
##Y^* \cdot X=\overline{X^* \cdot Y}## where ##Y^*=\overline{Y^T}## and ##X^*=\overline{X^T}## and
complex conjugate matrix is ##\overline{X^* \cdot Y}##

You have ##(X \cdot Y)^T=Y^T\cdot X^T## and ##(X\cdot Y)^*=\overline{X\cdot Y}^T=(\overline{X}\cdot\overline{Y})^T=\overline{Y}^T\cdot \overline{X}^T=Y^*\cdot X^*.##

Does this help?

What is a complex matrix?

A complex matrix is a rectangular array of complex numbers, where each element is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number.

What is a vector norm?

A vector norm is a mathematical concept that assigns a length or magnitude to a vector, which is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

How do you calculate the norm of a complex matrix?

The norm of a complex matrix is calculated by first converting the matrix into a vector, and then applying the vector norm calculation to the resulting vector.

What are some common vector norms used for complex matrices?

Some common vector norms used for complex matrices include the Euclidean norm, the maximum norm, and the Frobenius norm.

Why is the complex matrix in vector norm important in science?

The complex matrix in vector norm is important in science because it allows for the analysis and manipulation of complex data, which is often encountered in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.