Complex Numbers and Euler's Identity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of z in x+iy form when given exp(z)=-4+3i. The equation exp(z)=exp(x+iy)=exp(x)*exp(iy)=exp(x)*[cos(y)+isin(y)] is used to solve for z. There is a sign error in the equation y=inv(tan(-3/4)=-.6432, which is corrected by finding the correct value of theta. The final expression, exp(ln(5))*[cos(2.498)+isin(2.498)], is equal to z but exp(-4+3i) is not equal to -4+3i. The conversation also discusses using Euler's identities to solve
mkematt96

Homework Statement

exp(z)=-4+3i, find z in x+iy form

Homework Equations

See attached image.

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached image. exp(z)=exp(x+iy)=exp(x)*exp(iy)=exp(x)*[cos(y)+isin(y)] ... y=inv(tan(-3/4)=-.6432 ... mag(-4+3i)=5, x= ln (5)..exp(ln(5))=5 ... 5*[cos(-.6432)+isin(-6.432)] = -4+3i

z=r*exp(i*theta)..z=5exp(-.6432) Did I do this right?
File_000 (2).jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the value of the inverse tangent function you used. In particular, check the signs of the second last equation where you didn't see the error made earlier.

The last line is wrong. You found z already, what do you do in the last line?

you should take the lin of both sides its much simpler
and use the the law for a lin of acomplex numper
dddd.jpg

patric44 said:
The natural log is usually abbreviated as "ln" not "lin".

mfb said:
Check the value of the inverse tangent function you used. In particular, check the signs of the second last equation where you didn't see the error made earlier.

The last line is wrong. You found z already, what do you do in the last line?
Theta should be the inv(tan(-3/4))= -.6435+pi =2.498 which fixes the sign error when I plug that in.

The thing I am confused on is, is exp(ln(5))* [ cos(2.498)+isin(2.498) ] is that Z ? because that expression is equal to -4 +3i, but exp(-4+3i) ISNT equal to -4+3i

patric44 said:
View attachment 203530
I agree but the professor wants us to solve it using Euler's identities

Mark44 said:
The natural log is usually abbreviated as "ln" not "lin".
i know mark44 thanks . i saw some of my professors write it as lin.

mkematt96 said:
Theta should be the inv(tan(-3/4))= -.6435+pi =2.498 which fixes the sign error when I plug that in.

The thing I am confused on is, is exp(ln(5))* [ cos(2.498)+isin(2.498) ] is that Z ? because that expression is equal to -4 +3i, but exp(-4+3i) ISNT equal to -4+3i
Hint: You found ##e^{\ln 5}e^{2.498i}=-4+3i = e^{z}##. Rewrite the left side in the form ##e^{x+iy}##.

Related to Complex Numbers and Euler's Identity

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real component and an imaginary component. They are usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

What is Euler's Identity?

Euler's Identity is a mathematical equation that connects five fundamental mathematical constants: 1, 0, π, e, and i. It is written as e^(iπ) + 1 = 0 and is considered one of the most beautiful equations in mathematics.

What is the significance of Euler's Identity?

Euler's Identity is significant because it shows the relationship between seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts, such as exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and imaginary numbers. It also has many practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have numerous real-life applications in fields such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in engineering to model and analyze systems with both real and imaginary components.

How can I graph complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane called the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is plotted on the x-axis, and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. The resulting point is called the complex number's "location" on the complex plane.