Complex Solutions to Oscillations

In summary, the conversation was about a student's attempt at solving a problem involving differentiation and rearranging equations. The student tried differentiating both sides of an equation and using a trial solution, but got stuck with first-order terms and couldn't manipulate them to fit the desired equation. The student was advised to show their actual attempt instead of just describing it vaguely. Later, the student realized their mistake and planned to try again using the same reasoning.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 12.23.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 12.22.55 AM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried differentiating both sides of 3 and re-arranging it such that it started to look like equation 2, however i got stuck with 2 first order terms z' and couldn't find a way to manipulate it into a function z.

I then tried using a trial solution provided: z(t) = e-iΩt and differentiating it according to what I derived above, before again, trying to rearrange them such that they would fit equation 2 had I subbed the trial solution into 2. I got stuck in both situations.

Any pointers and direction would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us your actual attempt instead of vaguely describing it. If you do not show us what you got, we can only guess where you went wrong.

WWCY said:
i got stuck with 2 first order terms z'
So reuse eqn 3.

haruspex said:
So reuse eqn 3.

I gave it a shot, does this look right?

21584608_10212603397174305_1475893820_n.jpg

If this is unreadable I'll upload an image of better quality later as I am on public transport right now, apologies!

Orodruin said:
Please show us your actual attempt instead of vaguely describing it. If you do not show us what you got, we can only guess where you went wrong.

I made a ridiculous error in my previous solution, i'll do up another one using the same line of reasoning and upload it to see where I went wrong.

Thank you both for the help.

1. What are complex solutions to oscillations?

Complex solutions to oscillations refer to the mathematical representation of the motion of a system that exhibits both oscillatory behavior and complex numbers. This means that the motion of the system can be described by a combination of real numbers and imaginary numbers.

2. How are complex solutions used in oscillations?

Complex solutions are used to describe the behavior of systems that involve damping, resonance, and other complex phenomena. They allow for a more accurate representation of the motion of the system and can help in designing and analyzing oscillatory systems.

3. What is the difference between real and complex solutions in oscillations?

The main difference between real and complex solutions in oscillations is that real solutions involve only real numbers, while complex solutions involve both real and imaginary numbers. Real solutions represent simple harmonic motion, while complex solutions represent more complex behaviors.

4. How do complex solutions affect the motion of a system?

Complex solutions can affect the motion of a system by introducing new behaviors such as damping, resonance, and frequency shifts. They can also change the amplitude and phase of the oscillations, leading to different patterns of motion.

5. Can complex solutions help in understanding real-world oscillatory systems?

Yes, complex solutions can help in understanding real-world oscillatory systems by providing a more accurate mathematical representation of their behavior. They can also aid in predicting and controlling the motion of these systems, making them useful in various fields such as engineering and physics.