Component Name and Where to Purchase?

• Thread starter Cardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the individual is working on a project that requires a retractable pull cord to spin a wheel, similar to a rowing machine. They are unsure of the specific system needed and where to purchase it. Another person suggests a "Recoil Pull Starter" and provides information on how it works and where to purchase it. The individual will need to attach a cup to the wheel they want to spin, and they can purchase a new cup and mechanism for $15.
Cardan
TL;DR Summary
Searching for components that create similar actions to a rowing machine.
Noob to anything mechanical.
Working on a project that requires the same mechanics of a rowing machine (I think)- whereas I need a retractable pull cord that will spin a wheel. The cord will retract as the wheel keeps spinning. Pulling on the cord again will engage the wheel (even while its moving) and spin the wheel again. I have no clue what this system is called or even if you can purchase it. I've looked at rowing machine schematics but have not been able to determine what exactly I need. Also, where can someone purchase something like this? Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
You need a "Recoil Pull Starter".

Likes jrmichler, sysprog and hutchphd
Thank you! I'm researching this component now. Is there a specific wheel/attachment/system that I need to research that is necessary to engage a recoil pull starter? My research so far is telling me I need to buy an old lawnmower! Thanks again.

Likes sysprog and hutchphd
There is a cup that either bolts to the flywheel, or is cast as part of the flywheel. You will need to attach one to the wheel you will spin.
That cup has a hard plastic lining, usually Nylon, gripped by the pawls that extend from the pull start drum.

Likes sysprog
I'll start looking a little closer to that setup. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Likes Baluncore
Search 'Recoil Starter Cup Assembly' to get the new cup and mechanism for $15 including postage. Cheaper than a second hand mower.
Here is an example; https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/403241128796

1. What is the purpose of the Component Name?

The purpose of Component Name is to perform a specific function within a larger system or device. It is designed to work in conjunction with other components to achieve a desired outcome.

2. What industries or fields commonly use Component Name?

Component Name is commonly used in industries such as electronics, automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, research and development, and technology.

3. Where can I purchase Component Name?

Component Name can be purchased from various sources such as online retailers, electronic component stores, and specialized manufacturers. It is important to ensure that the component is from a reputable source to guarantee its quality and compatibility.

4. How do I know if Component Name is compatible with my system?

Before purchasing Component Name, it is important to check its specifications and compare them with the requirements of your system. This includes factors such as size, voltage, current, and compatibility with other components.

5. Are there any alternative options to Component Name?

Depending on the function and purpose of Component Name, there may be alternative options available. It is recommended to research and compare different components to determine the best fit for your specific needs.