Composite Manufacturing Question

In summary: Thanks!In summary, PeterDonis says that @sysprog may have an answer to the question, and Urika advises waiting for another member to confirm.
Urika
Homework Statement
Problem 2 – Composites
Relevant Equations
none
Hello. My question is related to Materials & Manufacturing. I have attached the question plus my solution. Pls guide me if its okay
Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 11.43.32 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 11.44.43 PM.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Questions and solutions cannot be in images. You need to post them directly using the PF LaTeX feature. A link to the LaTeX guide is at the bottom left of the post window.

If you're going to post screenshots, it's more convenient for the reader if you put the image link between [img] [\img] tags (or use another method, e.g. you could edit your post and click the 'full image' button on the image list below the text box) to post the full image rather than only a thumbnail. Here are your 2 images, reposted for other readers.

screenshot-2020-12-16-at-11-43-32-pm-png.png

screenshot-2020-12-16-at-11-44-43-pm-png.png

Your solution looks ok to me, but this is not familiar territory to me, so I think that you should please wait for another member to confirm.

Likes Urika
@Urika ##-## what @PeterDonis said supersedes what I said ##-## he's a Mentor/ Moderator here on PF##-## he posted while I was composing my post ##-## I trust that leaving my post in will be ok because it's still better to post full images rather than only thumbnails in most situations, and you may need to include an image of an Excel chart to show your answer, even when using ## \LaTeX##.

Last edited:
Likes Urika
sysprog said:
If you're going to post screenshots, it's more convenient for the reader if you put the image link between [img] [\img] tags (or use another method, e.g. you could edit your post and click the 'full image' button on the image list below the text box) to post the full image rather than only a thumbnail. Here are your 2 images, reposted for other readers.

View attachment 274466

View attachment 274467

Your solution looks ok to me, but this is not familiar territory to me, so I think that you should please wait for another member to confirm.

Thanks alot, I made the images big. Can you please tag someone who will be able to help me confirm

Urika said:
Thanks alot, I made the images big. Can you please tag someone who will be able to help me confirm
That's generally not how it works here ##-## mostly, someone posts a question, and members browse over threads, click on some they might be interested in, and then if so motivated, provide a reply ##-## sometimes, someone will 'page' someone by saying e.g. that maybe @sysprog has an answer to that, and that member will get an alert that the mention occurred ##-## when you've read enough threads in the areas in which you're interested, e.g in ME, you can then perhaps mention someone whom you think might have a good response, or even start a conversation ##-## assuming that you'll please remember that we're all volunteers here, I think that you're courteous enough that you'll likely find a strong presence here of people genuinely interested in your forum-relevant concerns.

Last edited:
Likes Urika
sysprog said:
it's still better to post full images rather than only thumbnails in most situations, and you may need to include an image of an Excel chart to show your answer, even when using ## \LaTeX##.

Yes, all of this is correct (with the proviso that an Excel chart can be used to help support an answer, but should not be the entire attempted solution by itself). But as much as possible should still be posted directly, so that replies can quote just the particular things they are replying to. There is plenty in this question that can be posted directly.

Likes sysprog

1. What is composite manufacturing?

Composite manufacturing is the process of creating a material by combining two or more different materials with distinct properties to create a new material with enhanced properties.

2. What are the advantages of using composite materials in manufacturing?

There are several advantages of using composite materials in manufacturing, including high strength-to-weight ratio, corrosion resistance, and design flexibility. They are also lightweight, durable, and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional materials.

3. What are the common types of composite materials used in manufacturing?

The most common types of composite materials used in manufacturing are fiber-reinforced composites, particulate composites, and structural composites. Fiber-reinforced composites are made up of a matrix material, such as resin, reinforced with fibers, such as carbon or glass. Particulate composites are made up of a matrix material with particles, such as metal or ceramic, embedded in it. Structural composites are made up of two or more different materials with different properties, such as metal and ceramic, combined to create a material with enhanced properties.

4. What are the steps involved in composite manufacturing?

The steps involved in composite manufacturing include design and material selection, mold preparation, lay-up, curing, and finishing. Design and material selection involve determining the desired properties of the final product and selecting the appropriate materials to achieve those properties. Mold preparation involves creating a mold or tool to shape the composite material. Lay-up is the process of layering the materials in the mold, followed by curing, which involves applying heat or pressure to harden the material. Finishing involves trimming, sanding, and painting the final product.

5. What industries use composite materials in their manufacturing processes?

Composite materials are used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, marine, construction, and sports equipment. They are also used in the production of wind turbine blades, medical devices, and consumer goods such as furniture and electronics.