Compton Scattering; Relation between scattering angles

In summary, the equations of conservation of linear momentum in x and y directions can be used to derive the relation between the scatter angles of the photon (θ) and electron (Φ) in the Compton effect. By rearranging the equations, we can obtain tanΦ, which is needed to solve for the desired expression.
watisphysics

Homework Statement

Show that the scatter angles of the photon (θ) and electron (Φ) in the Compton effect are related by
the relation:
##cot (θ/2 )=(1+\frac{hf}{mοC^2}) tan(Φ)
##

Where f is the frequency of incident photon
2. The attempt at a solution
I wrote down the equations of conservation of linear momentum in x and y directions
##h/λ =h/λ' cos(θ) +Pe \ cos(Φ)
\\
h/λ' sin(θ)=Pe \ sin(Φ)##
where Pe is the momentum of the electron after scattering.
Then we also have this equation;
##λ'-λ=\frac{h}{mοC} (1-cos(θ))##
Are these equations correct? Am I going in the right direction? How do I proceed from here? How can I solve these equations together to get the required?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
watisphysics said:
2. The attempt at a solution
I wrote down the equations of conservation of linear momentum in x and y directions
##h/λ =h/λ' cos(θ) +Pe \ cos(Φ)
\\
h/λ' sin(θ)=Pe \ sin(Φ)##
where Pe is the momentum of the electron after scattering.
Then we also have this equation;
##λ'-λ=\frac{h}{mοC} (1-cos(θ))##
Are these equations correct?
Yes
Am I going in the right direction?
Yes, you can get the answer from these equations.
How do I proceed from here? How can I solve these equations together to get the required?
The expression you want to derive contains tanΦ. From your first two equations, can you get tanΦ?

Likes watisphysics
Thank you!

Last edited:

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) collides with a charged particle, typically an electron, and transfers some of its energy to the particle. This results in a change in the wavelength and direction of the scattered photon.

2. How is the scattering angle related to the energy and momentum of the scattered photon?

The scattering angle, also known as the Compton angle, is directly related to the energy and momentum of the scattered photon. As the energy and momentum of the photon increase, the scattering angle also increases.

3. What is the difference between forward and backward scattering in Compton scattering?

In forward scattering, the scattered photon moves in the same direction as the incident photon, but with a longer wavelength. In backward scattering, the scattered photon moves in the opposite direction as the incident photon, again with a longer wavelength.

4. What is the importance of Compton scattering in physics?

Compton scattering is important in understanding the behavior of photons and electrons, and it is used in various fields of physics such as particle physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. It also provides evidence for the particle nature of light.

5. How is the Compton angle affected by the mass of the scattering particle?

The Compton angle is inversely proportional to the mass of the scattering particle. This means that a heavier particle will have a smaller Compton angle compared to a lighter particle, assuming all other factors remain constant.