Compute probability closeness between points in a 2D surface

In summary, it is possible to find the radius of B and relate it to A in some way in order to calculate the proportion of points within a circle centered at An.
LucaDanieli
Hi all,

Sorry, in my first message, I posted this question in the Basic Probability section, and so I moved it to this section.

I have a surface (for example, a blank paper).
In this surface, I have some elements of the set "A" randomly distributed.
In this surface, I also have some elements of the set "B" randomly distributed.
I would like to understand how may elements of "B" are present within a ray X from any element of "A".

I mean something like: "for each element An, there are N% (probability_result) elements of "B". "

Is it possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
LucaDanieli said:
I would like to understand how may elements of "B" are present within a ray X from any element of "A".

Possibly need more information. Without more information about the ray, it seems you want to find the diameter of B and relate it to A in some way. What are you trying to do exactly?

Hi Joppy,

thank you for your reply. Indeed I am not a mathematician so I was not able to understand how much information you need. I have improved the explanation in this Stackoverflow thread: https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/3403515/compute-probability-closeness-points-within-2d-surface?noredirect=1#comment7002121_3403515

Does it help understanding my question?

I think by "ray" you mean "radius"? So perhaps the question is: given a sequence of points representing circle centers ($A_n$) with radii $r$ and a collection of points $B_m$, what proportion of points $B_n$ are contained within each circle centered at $A_n$?

Hi Joppy,

thanks for clarifying. Indeed it's radius and not ray. (I guess "ray" indicates the sunlight... in Italian they have the same term).
So the final question is exactly as you summarized.

So: given a sequence of points representing circle centers (An) with radii r and a collection of points Bm, what proportion of points Bn are contained within each circle centered at An ?

Thanks also for making terminology more correct.

1. How is probability closeness between points in a 2D surface computed?

The probability closeness between points in a 2D surface is typically computed using statistical methods such as the Euclidean distance or the Mahalanobis distance. These methods involve calculating the distance between two points in a 2D space and using this distance to determine the probability of the points being close to each other.

2. What factors affect the probability closeness between points in a 2D surface?

The probability closeness between points in a 2D surface can be affected by various factors such as the distance between the points, the distribution of points in the surface, and the number of points in the surface. Other factors such as the shape and size of the surface can also impact the probability closeness.

3. How is the probability closeness between points in a 2D surface used in real-world applications?

The concept of probability closeness between points in a 2D surface is used in various fields such as data analysis, machine learning, and pattern recognition. It can help in identifying clusters or patterns in data, predicting future outcomes, and making decisions based on the likelihood of certain events occurring.

4. Can the probability closeness between points in a 2D surface be calculated for non-numerical data?

Yes, the probability closeness between points in a 2D surface can be calculated for non-numerical data using methods such as the Jaccard distance or the Hamming distance. These methods involve converting the non-numerical data into numerical values and then applying the distance calculation.

5. How can the accuracy of the probability closeness between points in a 2D surface be improved?

The accuracy of the probability closeness between points in a 2D surface can be improved by using more advanced distance calculation methods, increasing the number of points in the surface, and ensuring that the data is properly preprocessed. Additionally, incorporating other factors such as the density of points and the shape of the surface can also improve the accuracy of the probability closeness calculation.