Compute Volume Integral of $\vec V = xe^{-r}\hat i$: What is 'r'?

In summary, the vector function has a divergence and I need to integrate it over a sphere of radius R. The volume integration seems too cumbersome, but if I consider the surface integral, how do I choose the area element d\vec a?
Reshma
I have this vector function:
[tex]\vec V = xe^{-r}\hat i[/tex]

I have to obtain the volume integral:
[tex]I = \int(\vec \nabla \cdot \vec V)d^3x[/tex]

What is that 'r' and how do I compute the volume integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
r is the distance from the origin: You start by evaluating the divergence of the vector. Offhand, I would recommend using spherical coordinates after evaluating the divergence.

Thanks, Tide!
So [itex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/itex]. I have to substitute this in the original vector expression right?

I would say so.

Reshma said:
I have this vector function:
[tex]\vec V = xe^{-r}\hat i[/tex]

I have to obtain the volume integral:
[tex]I = \int(\vec \nabla \cdot \vec V)d^3x[/tex]

What is that 'r' and how do I compute the volume integral?
I assume the integral is over all space.
If you know the divergence theorem, you can use it to show that the integral=0.

Meir Achuz said:
I assume the integral is over all space.
If you know the divergence theorem, you can use it to show that the integral=0.
Sorry, took me a while to get back to this problem.
Yes, the integral is over all space.
The divergence comes out to be:
[tex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec v = \frac{-x^2 e^{-r}}{r} + e^{-r}[/tex]
I have to integrate this over a sphere of radius R. The volume integration seems too cumbersome. However, if I consider the surface integral, how do I choose the area element [itex]d\vec a[/itex]?

A typical choice for the surface of integration would be a spherical shell of radius R in the limit as R goes to infinity (since the shell must include all space). You should be able to convince yourself that the surface integral is zero without actually calculating it.

I am sorry, I don't get it :frown: . Suppose I take the surface integral as S.
[tex]S = \int \vec V \cdot d\vec a[/tex]
As you explained, the area element for the shell would be [itex]4\pi r^2 dr[/itex]. This means, I have to convert [itex]\vec V[/itex] into spherical coordinates, right?

Note that your vector field vanishes when evaluated at infinity, so does its flux thrugh the closed surface at infinity...

Daniel.

Ok, so that means, e-r vanishes with r tends to infinity?

Of course it does. As Tide said, there's no need to use Gauss's formula if u need to calculate it explicitely. Do the divergence first, then switch to spherical coordinates and then do the integral.

Daniel.

1. What is the meaning of 'r' in the equation?

'r' represents the distance from the origin to a point in space. In this case, it is used to calculate the magnitude of the vector, which is necessary for computing the volume integral.

2. Why is 'r' important in computing the volume integral?

'r' is important because it is used to calculate the magnitude of the vector, which is necessary for determining the volume of a region in space. Without it, the volume integral cannot be accurately calculated.

3. How is 'r' related to the vector's direction?

'r' is not directly related to the vector's direction. It is simply used to calculate the magnitude of the vector, which is a scalar quantity. The direction of the vector is represented by the unit vector, in this case, the ^i unit vector.

4. Can 'r' have a negative value?

Yes, 'r' can have a negative value. This indicates that the point in space is located in the opposite direction of the vector's direction. However, in this equation, 'r' is used as the magnitude of the vector, so it will always be a positive value.

5. How do you calculate the value of 'r' in this equation?

The value of 'r' can be calculated by finding the distance from the origin to a point in space. In this equation, it is used as the magnitude of the vector, so it can also be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector, which in this case is x^2.