Schwartz's Quantum field theory, (14.100) Fermionic path integral

Plantation
Homework Statement
$$\int d\bar{\vec{\theta}}d \vec{\theta} e^{-(\bar{\vec{\theta}} - \bar{\vec{\eta}} A^{-1})A( \vec{\theta}-A^{-1}\vec{\eta})} = \operatorname{det}(A)$$
Relevant Equations
$$ \int d\bar{\theta}_1d\theta_1 \cdots d\bar{\theta}_n d\theta_n e^{-\bar{\theta}_i A_{ij} \theta_{j} } = \operatorname{det}(A) \tag{14.98}$$
I am reading the Schwartz's Quantum field theory, p.269~p.272 ( 14.6 Fermionic path integral ) and some question arises.

In section 14.6, Fermionic path integral, p.272, (14.100), he states that

$$ \int d\bar{\theta}_1d\theta_1 \cdots d\bar{\theta}_n d\theta_n e^{-\bar{\theta}_i A_{ij} \theta_{j} + \bar{\eta}_i \theta_{i}+ \bar{\theta}_i \eta_i} = e^{\bar{\vec{\eta}} A^{-1} \vec{\eta}} \int d\bar{\vec{\theta}}d \vec{\theta} e^{-(\bar{\vec{\theta}} - \bar{\vec{\eta}} A^{-1})A( \vec{\theta}-A^{-1}\vec{\eta})}= \operatorname{det}(A) e^{\bar{\vec{\eta}} A^{-1}\vec{\eta}} \tag{14.100}$$

where ##\theta_i## are grassmann numbers ( C.f. His book p.269 ) and ##\bar{\theta}_i## are defined in p.271. And ##\eta_i## and ##\bar{\eta}_i## are external currents.

Q. Why ##\int d\bar{\vec{\theta}}d \vec{\theta} e^{-(\bar{\vec{\theta}} - \bar{\vec{\eta}} A^{-1})A( \vec{\theta}-A^{-1}\vec{\eta})} = \operatorname{det}(A)## ?

In his book, p.271, (14.98), he deduced that
$$ \int d\bar{\theta}_1d\theta_1 \cdots d\bar{\theta}_n d\theta_n e^{-\bar{\theta}_i A_{ij} \theta_{j} } = \operatorname{det}(A) \tag{14.98}$$

Can we use this? How? Or by similar argument for deduction of the (14.98)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen the derivation but it has been a while.
  • The first step is to expand the exponential into its power series which will only have two terms since the Grassmann "numbers" are nilpotent.
[tex] e^{-\overline{\theta}_i A_{ij} \theta_j} = 1-\overline{\theta}_i A_{ij} \theta_j[/tex]
(... searching for references...)
  • Next step is to recognize this as a multivariable: Berezin Integral.
  • You will then find the surviving terms are the definition of the determinant in terms of sums of signed permutations of products of entries. (Remembering that the Grassmann variables anti-commute.)
There are additional details but that's the big picture as I recall.

jambaugh said:
I've seen the derivation but it has been a while.
  • The first step is to expand the exponential into its power series which will only have two terms since the Grassmann "numbers" are nilpotent.
[tex] e^{-\overline{\theta}_i A_{ij} \theta_j} = 1-\overline{\theta}_i A_{ij} \theta_j[/tex]
(... searching for references...)
  • Next step is to recognize this as a multivariable: Berezin Integral.
  • You will then find the surviving terms are the definition of the determinant in terms of sums of signed permutations of products of entries. (Remembering that the Grassmann variables anti-commute.)
There are additional details but that's the big picture as I recall.
O.K. Again.. How can we perform this integral : ##\int d\bar{\vec{\theta}}d \vec{\theta} e^{-(\bar{\vec{\theta}} - \bar{\vec{\eta}} A^{-1})A( \vec{\theta}-A^{-1}\vec{\eta})} = \operatorname{det}(A)## ? An issue that makes me annoying is the involved objects ##\bar{\vec{\eta}}## (and ##\vec{\eta}##) (external currents). Perhaps can you provided explanation more step by step in detail?

1. What is Schwartz's Quantum field theory?

Schwartz's Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the interactions of elementary particles. It provides a way to quantize fields and study their dynamics in a quantum mechanical context.

2. What is the Fermionic path integral in Schwartz's Quantum field theory?

The Fermionic path integral in Schwartz's Quantum field theory is a mathematical tool used to calculate the probability amplitudes for fermionic particles to move from one state to another. It involves summing over all possible paths that the fermion can take between the initial and final states.

3. What is the significance of the (14.100) notation in Schwartz's Quantum field theory?

The notation (14.100) in Schwartz's Quantum field theory refers to the specific section or equation in the textbook where the Fermionic path integral is discussed. It helps readers locate and refer to the relevant information easily within the framework of the theory.

4. How does the Fermionic path integral differ from the Bosonic path integral in Schwartz's Quantum field theory?

The Fermionic path integral differs from the Bosonic path integral in Schwartz's Quantum field theory in terms of the types of particles being considered. Fermions follow Fermi-Dirac statistics and have half-integer spin, while bosons follow Bose-Einstein statistics and have integer spin. This leads to different mathematical formulations for their path integrals.

5. What are some applications of the Fermionic path integral in Schwartz's Quantum field theory?

The Fermionic path integral in Schwartz's Quantum field theory is used in various applications such as calculating scattering amplitudes, studying quantum field theories with fermionic fields, and understanding the behavior of fermionic particles in different physical systems. It provides a powerful mathematical tool for analyzing and predicting the behavior of fermions in quantum field theory.