Computer Engineering Electives

In summary, when selecting your electives for junior and senior year, consider your career goal of becoming an Embedded Systems/Software Engineer and choose courses that will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills in areas such as digital signal processing, software development, and secure system design.
sj5
I'm beginning to look into my electives for junior/senior year. My career goal is to be an Embedded Systems/Software Engineer involving RTOS, device drivers, microcontrollers etc. I have two sets of electives, need 2 classes from each set. In each set, I separated the courses into those that are CE and EE prefix courses for clarification. I'm just wondering if I can get some professional embedded software engineer/computer engineer input on which would be my best selection. The EE courses would require me to take an additional preparatory course, but I guess that's not too much if it prepares me better.

1st set:
CE
Principles of Programming Languages
Introduction to Theoretical Computer Science
EE
Signals & Systems
Random Signal Analysis2nd set:
CE
Embedded Systems
Compiler Construction
Operating System Internals
Distributed Software Development
Design and Analysis of Algorithms
Software Analysis and Design
EE
Real-Time DSP Systems
Digital Signal Processing
Communication Systems
Feedback Systems
Computer-Controlled Systems
other CS/CE courses(I don't believe these are quite as relevant, but not entirely sure)
Multimedia Information Systems
Database Management
Theory of Formal Languages
Software QA and Testing
Information Assurance
Computer Systems Security
Computer Network Security
Computer Graphics
Intro Artificial Intelligence
Numerical Linear Algebraic Data Exploration
Shape Analysis for Computer Vision and Graphics
Social Media Mining
Mobile Application Development... from the first set I think the signals classes are more relevant but am not sure if i really need them. On the 2nd set, Embedded Systems Programming is probably an obvious choice but for the 2nd one I am kinda stumped..these seem most relevant: Real-Time DSP Systems, Computer-Controlled Systems, Digital Signal Processing, Feedback Systems...leaning towards taking Real_Time DSP Systems.??... I've thought about pattern recognition/radar systems so Shape Analysis for Computer Vision and Graphics or Multimedia Information Systems may also be relevant.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what type of embedded systems you are interested in. If you are looking at doing work with microcontrollers, then the classes related to digital signal processing, feedback systems, and computer-controlled systems might be a good choice. If you are more interested in working with software development for embedded systems, then the classes related to compiler construction, operating system internals, distributed software development, design and analysis of algorithms, and software analysis and design would be better. Additionally, the classes related to mobile application development, theory of formal languages, software QA and testing, and information assurance could also be helpful, since they will provide you with knowledge and skills related to developing secure and reliable systems. Finally, if you are interested in working with pattern recognition or radar systems, then the class related to shape analysis for computer vision and graphics may be a good choice.

1. What are the available computer engineering elective courses?

The available computer engineering elective courses may vary depending on the specific program or university. However, common courses may include topics such as computer networks, artificial intelligence, operating systems, embedded systems, and software engineering.

2. How do I choose the right computer engineering elective courses?

Choosing the right computer engineering elective courses can be a daunting task. It is important to consider your interests, career goals, and the requirements of your program. You can also seek advice from your academic advisor or faculty members to help you make an informed decision.

3. Are there any prerequisites for computer engineering elective courses?

Yes, there may be prerequisites for certain computer engineering elective courses. These prerequisites are typically fundamental courses in computer science and engineering, such as programming, data structures, and digital logic design. Make sure to check the course requirements before enrolling in an elective course.

4. Can I take computer engineering elective courses from other departments?

Yes, some universities may allow students to take elective courses from other departments that are relevant to their field of study. For example, a computer engineering student may be able to take elective courses in mathematics, physics, or business management. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor for any restrictions or requirements.

5. How can computer engineering elective courses benefit my career?

Computer engineering elective courses can provide you with a deeper understanding of specific areas within the field and enhance your technical skills. This can make you more competitive in the job market and open up opportunities for specialized roles. Additionally, elective courses can help you explore different areas of computer engineering and find your passion within the field.