Switching to Physics from Computer Science, after sophomore year

In summary, a sophomore is seeking opinions on whether to switch their current CS major to physics or math, as they do not enjoy CS and believe it is not related to medicine. They are unsure if it is worth switching majors at this point and are considering other options such as biomedical engineering or bioinformatics. They have also been advised that doctors rely heavily on computer scientists and suggest considering these fields.
bicoid
I'm currently a sophomore (finishing up my second year) and want to get some of your guys's opinions on this matter. I'm on track to finish a degree in CS while finishing premed requirements, and then head off to med school after graduating. The thing is, I don't like CS. I'm close to finishing (I can finish the major in one more year with a normal courseload) but I think it's just dumb and I don't like identifying with the people. I also don't like sitting in front of the computer, which tends to happen to CS majors. I also don't think CS is the closest thing to medicine. I guess CS is just the "default" major that people jump to at my school, since it makes you seem "smart" and my school's CS department has a nice reputation.

So, I'm considering switching my major to physics. I think it will be more relevant to medicine, and I won't have to sit in front of the computer all day. However, the workload will be pretty heavy the next two years and I'm not sure I'll get the most out of the physics major by switching at this point, for I haven't taken any upper divisions.

Should I just suck it up and finish my CS major or switch to physics? Are there any physics majors out there who could comment on how useful it the major is, perhaps to medicine?

I could also switch to math, which would be easy (I'm a math person) but questionable in terms of usefulness after graduation.

tl;dr I'm halfway to a CS degree, but I think it's dumb, and I want to switch to physics, but it'll be hard, or math, which would be easier but of questionable usefulness. I'm going to med school after. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that doing Physics for considerations of going into the medical field will not help you very much, the two subjects (at least in my country) are very distant from each other, and are barely ever related. In that sense, you may as well stay in CS, at least CS is more easy to relate to other subjects, including medicine. Math is also always a good option, it's valuable, just purely because it's the most difficult thing you can do.

My peers from undergraduate who actually got careers in their field of study did medical physics. They didn't do regular "med school" though, they specifically did medical physics programs.

Why not do something like biomedical engineering, biophysics, computational biology or bioinformatics?

Last edited:
I think you're not aware of the fact that doctors rely heavily on computer scientists, not to mention biology, algorithms in genes and much more. Bioinformatics, if that's a subject incorporating software and hardware (devices) for doctors, hospitals, etc., then I think you should consider it. Since you seem to hate CS and sitting in front of the computer, I wouldn't suggest continuing your degree. But physics is not very near either.

1. Can I still switch to physics if I haven't taken any physics courses in college so far?

Yes, it is possible to switch to physics from computer science after sophomore year even if you have not taken any physics courses in college. However, you may need to take some prerequisite physics courses before starting the advanced physics courses.

2. Will I have to start my undergraduate degree all over again?

No, you do not have to start your undergraduate degree all over again. Your previous coursework in computer science will still count towards your degree, and you may be able to transfer some credits to your new major in physics.

3. How difficult will it be to catch up on the required physics courses?

The difficulty of catching up on the required physics courses will depend on your prior knowledge and understanding of physics. If you have a strong background in math and science, you may be able to catch up quickly. However, if you do not have any prior experience with physics, it may take more time and effort to catch up.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to other students who have been studying physics since freshman year?

It is natural to feel that you may be at a disadvantage compared to other students who have been studying physics since freshman year. However, keep in mind that everyone's learning journey is different and you may have unique skills and perspectives that can be valuable in studying physics.

5. Can I still pursue a career in physics even though I switched from computer science?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in physics even though you switched from computer science. Many skills and concepts in computer science are transferable and can be useful in the field of physics, especially in areas such as computational physics and data analysis. You may also have a unique perspective and skill set that can make you stand out in the field of physics.