Computer Troubleshooting: Emergency Shut Down and Slow Performance

In summary, the person is experiencing issues with their computer after a game froze and they did an emergency shut down. The computer is now running slowly and some programs are not responding. They are looking for advice on how to reset their hard drive and start over. Suggestions are given to scan for viruses and to reinstall Windows XP by deleting and creating a new partition. Another suggestion is to try a system restore before reinstalling.
Shadow
Hey guys, last night my computer was fine until a game froze but since it was about 2:00 AM i just did an emergency shut down and went to bed. Anyways today when i put my computer on it moved painlessly slow. When I try to use the internet it says not responding, almost none of my programs can load up and only after 5 tries i got the internet to work...but extremely slowly.

Just to get rid of the problem (and future reference) can anyone tell me how to dump hardrive and start over?

By the way I am on my friends laptop right now :eek:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Which version of windows are you using?

Windows XP home ed.

It may not be a bad idea to scan for viruses.

tried...nortons working about as good as everything else

Have the virus definitions been updated?

Sounds like you corrupted some files on your partition. Just put the windows xp cd in the cdrom and boot from it. You'll eventually get to a screen that asks to to select the partion you want to install windows on. Delete the partition and create a new one. Then format the drive with NTFS. I would normally do it quick, but in this case I would go with normal version which does error checking. Let the installation finish and reinstall all your apps.

Just make sure you back up everything.

Thanks, both of you I am on my way to do that now

With XP I would try a "Restore" first. Just pick a restore point back before your computer went bad and try it. If it is corrupted files like dduardo suggested this might not help, but it's worth a shot. I've used it a couple of times with XP after a bad driver installation and it worked pretty good.

1. How do I perform an emergency shut down on my computer?

To perform an emergency shut down on your computer, press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds. This will force the computer to shut down immediately. However, this should only be done as a last resort if your computer is not responding or has frozen completely.

2. Why is my computer running slow?

There are many possible reasons for a slow computer, such as a lack of storage space, too many programs running at once, or outdated hardware. It is important to regularly clean up unnecessary files and programs, and consider upgrading your hardware if necessary.

3. How can I improve my computer's performance?

To improve your computer's performance, you can try clearing out temporary files, disabling unnecessary startup programs, and running regular updates. You may also want to consider upgrading your hardware, such as adding more RAM or replacing an old hard drive.

4. What should I do if my computer keeps freezing?

If your computer keeps freezing, it could be due to a variety of reasons, such as a lack of memory or a hardware issue. You can try closing any unnecessary programs and freeing up some memory space. If the problem persists, it may be best to seek professional help.

5. How can I prevent my computer from overheating?

To prevent your computer from overheating, make sure it has proper ventilation and is not placed in direct sunlight. You can also regularly clean the dust and debris from the fans and vents. If your computer continues to overheat, it may be a sign of a malfunctioning cooling system and should be checked by a professional.