Computing antiderivatives (integration)

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a given function using a guess and check method, as the person has not learned many rules of integration yet. They attempt to solve it by using a table of antiderivatives, but it does not give the original function when differentiated. They also discuss using substitutions to solve the integral. The conversation concludes with a series of questions about differentiating exponential functions.
Nitrate

Homework Statement

integrate 4e^(2x)^(1/2) - 1/7e^(-pix)
using a guess and check method (haven't learned many rules of integration)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not really sure how to do this integral... i tried
4/(2x)^(1/2)[e^(2x)^(1/2)] using a table of antiderivatives for the first part
but when i differentiated it, it did not give me the original function
i haven't tried the second bit yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second term, do you know how to differentiate exponential functions?

Can you answer these questions, differentiate with respect to x:

e^x
18e^x
4e^2x
e^(x^2)
e^(x^(1/3))
e^(8x^(-2/3))

For the first term you need to use a substitution, try substituting u=x^1/2

If you have [itex]\int f'(x)e^{f(x)}dx[/itex] you could make the substitution [tex]u= f(x)[/tex] so that [tex]du= f'(x)dx[/tex] and the integral becomes [tex]\int e^u du= e^u+ C= e^{f(x)}+ C[/tex]

HOWEVER, if that f'(x) is not in the integral originally (and is not a constant), you cannot put it in! Here, I don't believe that [tex]\int e^{(4x)^{1/2}}dx[/tex] can be integrated in terms of elementary functions.

1. What is the definition of an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. It is also known as the inverse operation of differentiation, or integration.

2. How do I compute an antiderivative?

To compute an antiderivative, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use mathematical software or online calculators to find the antiderivative of a given function.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration is the process of finding a general antiderivative, while definite integration involves finding the value of the definite integral between two limits. In other words, indefinite integration gives a family of functions, while definite integration gives a specific numerical value.

4. What are the common applications of computing antiderivatives?

Antiderivatives are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving rates of change, optimization, and area under a curve.

5. Can all functions be integrated?

No, not all functions have an antiderivative that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. These are known as non-elementary functions, and their antiderivatives can only be expressed in terms of special functions or as infinite series.