Computing propagators with derivative interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction Lagrangian density for a quantized vector field and its associated Feynman rules for vertices and propagators. The question also asks for help in finding the Feynman rule for the propagator, which is found by substituting the mode expansion of the scalar field and applying Wick's theorem. The resulting Feynman rules are similar to those shown in a sample exam question.
FrancescoS
Hi guys,
I'm working with this interaction Lagrangian density

##\mathcal{L}_{int} = \mathcal{L}_{int}^{(1)} + \mathcal{L}_{int}^{(2)} + {\mathcal{L}_{int}^{(2)}}^\dagger = ia\bar{\Psi}\gamma^\mu\Psi Z_\mu +ib(\phi^\dagger\partial_\mu \phi - \partial_\mu\phi^\dagger \phi)Z^\mu,##
with

##
\mathcal{L}_{int}^{(2)} = +ib(\phi^\dagger\partial_\mu \phi)Z^\mu,##
where ##Z^\mu## is an hermitian vector field, ##\phi## is a complex scalar field and ##\Psi## is the field of the electron.

I must work with Hamiltonian formalism.

I know that in this case I can work with ##\mathcal{H}_{int} = - \mathcal{L}_{int}## because the non-convariant term of the propagator of the vector field is canceled by the non-covariant term of the interaction Hamiltonian (this is the case of quantizing a vector field with an interaction ##J^\mu Z_\mu## ).

My teacher told me the easiest way to derive feynman rules for the vertex ##+ib(\phi^\dagger\partial_\mu \phi - \partial_\mu\phi^\dagger \phi)Z^\mu## is to "attach" the incoming/outgoing particle momenta to the vertex. So, I get the following Feynman rules:

##\mathcal{H}_{int}^{(1)} = -ia\bar{\Psi}\gamma^\mu\Psi Z_\mu##
vertex: ##-ia\gamma^\mu## (the others feynman rules are obvious in this case)

## \mathcal{H}_{int}^{(2)} + {\mathcal{H}_{int}^{(2)}}^\dagger = -ib(\phi^\dagger\partial_\mu \phi - \partial_\mu\phi^\dagger \phi)Z^\mu## vertex: ##\pm bp^\mu## where ##\pm## if the sign of momenta ##\vec{p}## and the arrow of the charge are concordant.

Ok, the Feynman rules for the vertices are very simple.
Let's go to the computation of feynman rules for the propagator, like that

##
\int d^4x d^4y <0|T(\phi^\dagger(x)\partial_\mu\phi(y))|0>
##

if ## \mu = 1,2,3 ##, then it's true that I have just to "attach" the momenta of incoming/outgoing particle to the vertex; but there is an extra term if ##\mu= 0## that yields a non-covariant term after have substituted the integral representation of theta-function
##
\int d^4x d^4y <0|T(\phi^\dagger(x)\partial_\mu\phi(y))|0> = \delta_\mu^j\int d^4x d^4y \frac{d^4p ip_j}{(2\pi)^4}e^{ipx}\Delta_F(p) + \delta_\mu^0\int d^4x d^4y d^3p d^3q \left[ ip_0\theta(x^0-y^0)[\phi^+_c(x,p),\phi^-_c(y,q)]- iq_0\theta(y^0-x^0)[\phi^+(y,p),\phi^-(x,q)]\right].
##

How to handle it? How to find the feynman rule for the propagator?

p.s. I write the scalar field as ##\phi(x) = \int d^3p \phi^+(x,p)+\phi^-_c(x,p)##

Physics news on Phys.org
FrancescoS said:
Hi guys,
##
\int d^4x d^4y <0|T(\phi^\dagger(x)\partial_\mu\phi(y))|0>
##
if ## \mu = 1,2,3 ##, then it's true that I have just to "attach" the momenta of incoming/outgoing particle to the vertex; but there is an extra term if ##\mu= 0## that yields a non-covariant term after have substituted the integral representation of theta-function
##
\int d^4x d^4y <0|T(\phi^\dagger(x)\partial_\mu\phi(y))|0> = \delta_\mu^j\int d^4x d^4y \frac{d^4p ip_j}{(2\pi)^4}e^{ipx}\Delta_F(p) + \delta_\mu^0\int d^4x d^4y d^3p d^3q \left[ ip_0\theta(x^0-y^0)[\phi^+_c(x,p),\phi^-_c(y,q)]- iq_0\theta(y^0-x^0)[\phi^+(y,p),\phi^-(x,q)]\right].
##

How to handle it? How to find the feynman rule for the propagator?
That is a strange way to calculate the propagator of the scalar.
Anyways, just substitute the mode expansion of [itex]\hat{\phi}(x)[/itex] (as you have written) in the integral [itex]\int d^4x d^4y \langle0|T(\hat{\phi}^\dagger(x)\partial_\mu\hat{\phi}(y))|0\rangle[/itex] and apply Wick's theorem. You will get the desired propagator.

The Feynman rules should look like as shown in question 2 of the exam http://bolvan.ph.utexas.edu/~vadim/Classes/2015f/FE.pdf

Last edited:

Related to Computing propagators with derivative interaction

1. What is a propagator in computing?

A propagator in computing refers to a mathematical function that describes the time evolution of a system. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one point in space and time to another.

2. What is derivative interaction in computing propagators?

Derivative interaction in computing propagators refers to the inclusion of terms in the mathematical function that account for the change in velocity or momentum of a particle over time. This is important in systems with varying forces or interactions that can affect the particle's movement.

3. Why is computing propagators with derivative interaction important?

Computing propagators with derivative interaction is important because it allows for a more accurate calculation of a particle's time evolution in a system. Without accounting for derivative interactions, the propagator may not accurately predict the particle's movement and behavior.

4. What are some challenges in computing propagators with derivative interaction?

One of the main challenges in computing propagators with derivative interaction is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. Derivative interactions can significantly increase the number of terms in the propagator, making it more difficult to solve. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may depend on the specific form of the derivative interaction included in the calculation.

5. How are computing propagators with derivative interaction used in scientific research?

Computing propagators with derivative interaction is commonly used in quantum mechanics and other fields of physics to model the time evolution of particles in various systems. It is also used in computer simulations and numerical calculations to study complex systems and predict their behavior. Additionally, researchers may use computing propagators with derivative interaction to test different theories and make predictions about the behavior of particles in different conditions.