Conceptual question in regards to oscilloscope output

In summary, the problem is that the signals are on different axes, and because they are on the same axis but at a 90 degree phase shift, the rotated figure appears to be (A).
claymine
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
can some one help me understand this problem conceptually I'm doubting the explanation given below (superposition happens on when they are on the same axis right but this problem two frequencies are on orthogonal basis).
My thought was since frequency on Y is twice as many as on X. so i picked E
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.27.02 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I plotted in mathematica for sin(x)+sin(2x)
1567791255074.png

None of the choices are correct. (E) would be correct if the X/Y axis assignments in the problem statement are reversed.

Dullard said:
None of the choices are correct. (E) would be correct if the X/Y axis assignments in the problem statement are reversed.
I agree with you. it's very stupid. but problem is it appeared on the 1992 GRE. so the problem maker might made a mistake

claymine said:
I agree with you. it's very stupid. but problem is it appeared on the 1992 GRE. so the problem maker might made a mistake
maybe if you zoom in you can get choice (A)

Likes Dullard
LOL.
I was just pondering that. (A) is actually correct. A 90 degree phase shift will make the 'rotated' (E) look like (A).

Back in high school, a friend and I had playing privileges in the school physics room during the teacher's free hour. One day, we stacked up all the oscilloscopes and signal generators in a big pyramid, and connected them to make a different Lissajous figure on each scope. We were busy trying to make them all rotate clockwise (or something) when the principal walked in, looked at what we were doing, commented "gosh, that looks very technical", and went over and congratulated the teacher for doing a good job.

I just had to try this in Octave (Matlab clone). I made two plots, the top one with the signals in phase, and the bottom one where I added ##\frac \pi 2## to Y.
Lissajous.jpg

Likes scottdave, NascentOxygen, OmCheeto and 1 other person
jrmichler said:
Back in high school, a friend and I had playing privileges in the school physics room during the teacher's free hour. One day, we stacked up all the oscilloscopes and signal generators in a big pyramid, and connected them to make a different Lissajous figure on each scope. We were busy trying to make them all rotate clockwise (or something) when the principal walked in, looked at what we were doing, commented "gosh, that looks very technical", and went over and congratulated the teacher for doing a good job.

I just had to try this in Octave (Matlab clone). I made two plots, the top one with the signals in phase, and the bottom one where I added ##\frac \pi 2## to Y.
View attachment 249309
wow bravo

It's a parametric equation with x = function of t and y = function of t, like @jrmichler shows. It's tricky because they tell you it starts at the center of the screen. So you might think the figure 8. But with y having double frequency, it's slope will be steeper. My thinking, without a calculator or computer, first thought if they were same frequency you'd get something like a 45 degree line tracing back and forth. Now since y has the faster frequency, it would go up the entire vertical distance in the same time travel only half the horizontal distance. So the first choice is looking like it.

1. What is an oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope is an electronic instrument used to measure and display electrical signals, typically in the form of a graph.

2. What is the purpose of an oscilloscope?

The main purpose of an oscilloscope is to visualize and analyze electrical signals to determine their amplitude, frequency, and other characteristics.

3. How does an oscilloscope display signals?

An oscilloscope displays signals by using a cathode ray tube (CRT) or a digital display screen to plot the amplitude of the signal over time.

4. What is the difference between an analog and digital oscilloscope?

An analog oscilloscope uses a CRT to display signals, while a digital oscilloscope uses an LCD or LED screen. Analog oscilloscopes are typically less expensive but have lower bandwidth and resolution compared to digital oscilloscopes.

5. How do I interpret the measurements on an oscilloscope?

The horizontal axis on an oscilloscope represents time, while the vertical axis represents voltage. The shape and height of the waveform on the screen can provide information about the frequency, amplitude, and other characteristics of the signal being measured.