Determine impulse response given input and output signals

In summary, the conversation is about finding the unknown impulse response g1(t) given the input and output signals in a problem. The person attempted to use a convolution shortcut but had difficulty applying it to the given problem. They also questioned if impulse response is the same as step response. The other person pointed out a possible typo in the figure label.
jsg94

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,

In the following problem I have to find the unknown impulse response g1(t) given the input and output signals, as shown below:
(the answer is already there, at the moment I am trying to understand how to get there).
fullsizeoutput_1462.jpeg

Homework Equations

[/B]
I have attempted to use the following convolution shortcut for two rectangular signals, but can't really figure out how they obtained the answer from above.
Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 9.33.04 PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how they did the convolution shortcut above, but I am having a hard time trying to apply it to the given problem. I do not know if there is a different method I would be able to use. I find it a little difficult to do the regular convolution method if you are given the output signal, and not the signal you're convoluting your input with.

This might be simpler than I thought and I am just over complicating things, who knows.

Thank you in advance for your assistance :) I really appreciate it

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1462.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1462.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,076
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 9.33.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 9.33.04 PM.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 2,720
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked it out yet, but I have a question about terminology. It seems that the question is inferring that Impulse Response is the same as Step Response. Is that the way you are reading it?

scottdave said:
I haven't worked it out yet, but I have a question about terminology. It seems that the question is inferring that Impulse Response is the same as Step Response. Is that the way you are reading it?

Hello, I think that would be a typo. Sorry, I know it's misleading that they're asking for the impulse response and then on the figure label it says step response.

Just came across this today. Any remanent interest in this?

Question 1: What is impulse response?

Impulse response is a function that describes the output of a system when a short duration input signal, called an impulse, is applied to the system.

Question 2: How is impulse response calculated?

Impulse response is calculated by dividing the Fourier transform of the output signal by the Fourier transform of the input signal.

Question 3: What do input and output signals represent?

The input signal represents the stimulus applied to the system, while the output signal represents the response of the system to that stimulus.

Question 4: Why is impulse response important in signal processing?

Impulse response allows us to understand how a system will respond to any input signal, which is crucial in signal processing applications such as filtering and equalization.

Question 5: Are there any limitations to determining impulse response from input and output signals?

Yes, determining impulse response from input and output signals requires the system to be linear and time-invariant, and there may be errors due to noise and measurement inaccuracies.