Conceptual Question on Angular Momentum.

In summary: the example is ice-skating sport -there the rotation speed of skaters is increased or decreased by them
Sahil Kukreja

Homework Statement

A Person sitting firmly over a rotating stool has his arms stretched. If he fold his arms, his angular momentum about the axis of rotation :
A.) Increases
B.) Decreases
C.) Remains Unchanged
D.) doubles

Homework Equations

[/B]Conservation of Angular Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Since External Torque =0
Then final angular momentum = initial angular momentum
=> (C.)

But I wanted to further ask that in the Equation L=I*(omega)
since L has to be constant(if external torque = 0) then:
If I increases then omega decreases to keep L constant
or if omega increases then I decreases to keep constant

Will folding his arms increase I( Moment of Inertia ) or decrease it??

Physics news on Phys.org
Sahil Kukreja said:
But I wanted to further ask that in the Equation L=I*(omega)
since L has to be constant(if external torque = 0) then:
If I increases then omega decreases to keep L constant
or if omega increases then I decreases to keep constant
by folding his arms the new moment of inertia of the system will increase /decrease?
how moment of inertia depends on mass distribution? if a mass is farther from axis of rotation its moment of inertia should be larger as I= m.r^2
L= I . angular velocity therefore a decrease/increase in I should result in the angular velocity to increse/decrease

Likes Sahil Kukreja
drvrm said:
by folding his arms the new moment of inertia of the system will increase /decrease?
how moment of inertia depends on mass distribution? if a mass is farther from axis of rotation its moment of inertia should be larger as I= m.r^2
L= I . angular velocity therefore a decrease/increase in I should result in the angular velocity to increse/decrease

Ok. Thanks! :smile: so if the mass is extremely close and external torque=0, then angular velocity will reach very high.

Sahil Kukreja said:
Ok. Thanks! :smile: so if the mass is extremely close and external torque=0, then angular velocity will reach very high.

the example is ice-skating sport -there the rotation speed of skaters is increased or decreased by them using their arms folded or spreading out.

Likes Sahil Kukreja

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically represented by the symbol "L". It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating).

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant over time unless acted upon by an external torque. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum. In other words, if no external forces or torques act on an object, its angular momentum will remain the same.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are related by the radius of rotation. The linear momentum of an object is equal to its angular momentum divided by its radius. This means that an object with a larger radius will have a smaller angular momentum for the same linear momentum, and vice versa.

4. How does angular momentum affect an object's stability?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in an object's stability. An object with a higher angular momentum will be more resistant to changes in its rotational motion, making it more stable. This is why spinning objects, such as tops or gyroscopes, are able to maintain their stability and upright position.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Angular momentum can be observed in various everyday situations, such as when a figure skater spins faster by pulling their arms close to their body, or when a diver rotates in the air during a dive. It is also present in the rotation of the Earth and other planets around the sun, and in the rotation of galaxies. Additionally, it is utilized in technologies such as gyroscopes and flywheels for stabilization and navigation purposes.