Concerning Mathematica Rejecta

• Thread starter flouran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, The conversation is about a new open-access journal called Mathematica Rejecta and the question of how long it takes for the journal to respond to manuscript submissions. While some believe that publishing in this journal may not be beneficial for one's CV unless they work in the field of experimental mathematics, others argue that experimental mathematicians may benefit from publishing in this journal. One person also mentions keeping papers on arXiv instead.
flouran
Hello forum-goers,

I have heard of this new open-access journal called http://math.rejecta.org" . I am cognizant the there are several threads on this forum that discuss this journal.

Peer-reviewed journals take about a few weeks to a few months to a year to get back to you; however, I am curious as to how long it takes for Mathematica Rejecta to get back to you following the initial submission of a manuscript? Does anyone have any experience at all with the Mathematica Rejecta journal?

Thanks and Kind Regards,
flouran

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Count Iblis said:

I am glad to see that Doron Zeilberg is in favor of Rejecta Mathematica (something which I already knew), but I fail to see anything regarding how long it takes for Rej. Math. to get back to you after initial submission.

Thanks,
flouran

I can't help but wonder exactly how much listing publications in Rejecta Mathematica would help your vita! (I used to wonder the same about publishing with the Publish or Perish Press.)

HallsofIvy said:
I can't help but wonder exactly how much listing publications in Rejecta Mathematica would help your vita! (I used to wonder the same about publishing with the Publish or Perish Press.)

It may help you, if you work in the field of experimental mathematics.

Count Iblis said:
It may help you, if you work in the field of experimental mathematics.

Agreed. Otherwise, most "professional mathematicians" would consider your CV "a joke" (unless you are already a well-established mathematician).

I personally would rather keep any paper that is not worthy of publication in a peer-reviewed journal on the arXiv. But that's my opinion...

Experimental mathematicians are in good company:http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/mamarim/mamarimPDF/em.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Mathematica Rejecta?

Mathematica Rejecta is a term used to refer to mathematical papers that have been rejected by academic journals for publication. It is also known as the "anti-journal" and was created by mathematician John Baez in 2004 as a way to showcase rejected papers that may still contain valuable insights and ideas.

2. How does Mathematica Rejecta differ from traditional academic journals?

Unlike traditional academic journals which only publish papers that have been accepted through a rigorous peer-review process, Mathematica Rejecta publishes rejected papers without any further review or editing. This allows for a wider range of ideas and perspectives to be shared and discussed.

3. Who can submit papers to Mathematica Rejecta?

Anyone can submit a rejected paper to Mathematica Rejecta, regardless of their academic credentials or background. The only requirement is that the paper has been previously rejected by a reputable academic journal.

4. What types of papers are typically published in Mathematica Rejecta?

Mathematica Rejecta publishes a variety of papers, including those that are highly theoretical, unconventional, or controversial. These papers may not fit the criteria of traditional academic journals, but can still contribute to the advancement of mathematical knowledge.

5. How can Mathematica Rejecta benefit the field of mathematics?

Mathematica Rejecta serves as a platform for rejected papers to be shared and discussed, allowing for a more diverse and inclusive mathematical community. It also provides a space for alternative or unconventional ideas to be explored, potentially leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field.