Condensation & Clouds: Understanding Water's Transformation

In summary: Dew point is the temperature at which the air is saturated with water vapor to the point where liquid water cannot exist.The first article I cited (the college Meteorology text) also notes that very humid conditions are unusual in polluted urban areas - because there are so many seeds available in the air.
EEristavi
I understand that condensation occurs when water (in gas form) looses energy and becomes liquid. What I don't understand why some surface is needed to form a liquid water

Physics news on Phys.org
EEristavi said:
I understand that condensation occurs when water (in gas form) looses energy and becomes liquid. What I don't understand why some surface is needed to form a liquid water
Here is a wiki article on the phenomenon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_condensation_nuclei
Water can condense without a surface - but the water must be chilled well below freezing before that will happen.

I am not sure if the exact mechanism for this is described, but I would point out that without a surface, most water particles that collide with each other will be at a temperature above the ambient - simply because of the speed of the collision. Then, both the heat of the collision and the latent heat of condensation would need to be somehow surrendered to the environment.

.Scott said:
Water can condense without a surface - but the water must be chilled well below freezing before that will happen.
What happens at the spout of a boiling kettle?

sophiecentaur said:
What happens at the spout of a boiling kettle?
Leave it to an Englishman to focus on a boiling kettle. :wink: I love those powerful electric tea kettles you have there.

anorlunda said:
I love those powerful electric tea kettles
The water needs to nearly boiling when it first comes into contact with the tea. Everywhere else in the World they pour luke warm water - or even dip the tea bag into a cup of water that was heated way back at the bar or in the kitchen. You've no idea, you guys. But you put whisky into ice, too!:smile:

.Scott said:
According to the wiki article,
I scanned through it but couldn't actually find that statement and I also looked at the other article. We all know that you can form fog and mist without the temperature being very low so they must be looking deeper and considering large droplet formation. It'll be the temperature that determines whether large enough drops can form to cause rain, probably because there will be an equilibrium when the evaporation rate is the same as the condensation rate.

EEristavi said:

To understand, read about „Nucleation“: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_nucleation_theory

sophiecentaur said:
I scanned through it but couldn't actually find that statement and I also looked at the other article.
From the first paragraph of the wiki article:
In the atmosphere, this surface presents itself as tiny solid or liquid particles called CCNs. When no CCNs are present, water vapour can be supercooled at about −13°C (8°F) for 5–6 hours before droplets spontaneously form (this is the basis of the cloud chamber for detecting subatomic particles).
sophiecentaur said:
We all know that you can form fog and mist without the temperature being very low so they must be looking deeper and considering large droplet formation. It'll be the temperature that determines whether large enough drops can form to cause rain, probably because there will be an equilibrium when the evaporation rate is the same as the condensation rate.
At low altitudes and certainly indoors at a residence, there are always lots of airborne particles.
The second article I cited (the college Meteorology text) also notes that very humid conditions are unusual in polluted urban areas - because there are so many seeds available in the air.

.Scott said:

.Scott said:
From the first paragraph of the wiki article:

it doesn't say must be super cooled

In the atmosphere, this surface presents itself as tiny solid or liquid particles called CCNs. When no CCNs are present, water vapour can be supercooled at about −13°C (8°F) for 5–6 hours before droplets spontaneously form (this is the basis of the cloud chamber for detecting subatomic particles).

"can be cooled ... before" big differencethis is all related to dew point
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

1. What is condensation and how does it occur?

Condensation is the process in which water vapor in the air turns into liquid water. This occurs when the air becomes saturated with water vapor and the temperature drops, causing the vapor to lose energy and condense into tiny droplets of liquid.

2. How do clouds form?

Clouds are formed when water vapor in the air condenses onto tiny particles such as dust, salt, or pollen. These particles act as nuclei for the water vapor to cling to, forming droplets that make up clouds. As more and more droplets form, they become visible as clouds.

3. What factors affect the formation of clouds?

The formation of clouds is influenced by several factors including temperature, humidity, and air pressure. High humidity and low pressure are conducive to cloud formation, while warm temperatures can prevent clouds from forming.

4. Why do clouds appear white?

Clouds appear white because they reflect all wavelengths of light from the sun. This is due to the fact that clouds are made up of tiny water droplets or ice crystals, which scatter light in all directions, making them appear white to the human eye.

5. What are the different types of clouds?

There are three main types of clouds: cumulus, stratus, and cirrus. Cumulus clouds are puffy and usually indicate fair weather. Stratus clouds are flat and gray, covering the entire sky, and are associated with rain or snow. Cirrus clouds are thin and wispy, and often indicate a change in weather.