Condensation-Expansion Turbines

• Thread starter Sat D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbines
In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on understanding the design and mechanism behind steam expansion-condensation turbines. They are trained in chemical engineering but lack knowledge on this specific topic. They are looking for resources on turbine mechanisms and how condensation plays a role in extracting work. Suggestions include consulting Wikipedia and a thermodynamics textbook, as well as reading about Rankine cycles and steam enthalpies. The book "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Moran et al. is also recommended.
Sat D
TL;DR Summary
I want to understand how work is extracted from turbines
I am working on a project involving a steam expansion-condensation turbine. I am the only one in on the project and I am unsure of how to start. I am trained in chemical engineering and have a black box understanding of what turbines do, but have no clue about the actual design or mechanism behind the scenes. Does anybody have any suggestions on where I can read up on turbine mechanisms, and this is probably a stretch, coupled with condensation to extract as much work done as possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sat D said:
Summary: I want to understand how work is extracted from turbines

I am working on a project involving a steam expansion-condensation turbine. I am the only one in on the project and I am unsure of how to start. I am trained in chemical engineering and have a black box understanding of what turbines do, but have no clue about the actual design or mechanism behind the scenes. Does anybody have any suggestions on where I can read up on turbine mechanisms, and this is probably a stretch, coupled with condensation to extract as much work done as possible?
As broad as the question is, I'd have to recommend perusing wikipedia and/or a thermodynamics textbook.

...I get the vague idea though that your main question is about why condensation is important. It's important because most of the stored energy is in the form of latent heat of vaporization/condensation. Look at a Rankine cycle and the steam enthalpies at the different states.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
Get a copy of Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran et al.

1. What is a condensation-expansion turbine?

A condensation-expansion turbine is a type of steam turbine that uses the principle of condensation to generate power. It works by expanding steam through a series of blades, which causes the steam to lose pressure and temperature. This decrease in temperature causes the steam to condense, creating a vacuum that helps to drive the turbine.

2. How does a condensation-expansion turbine work?

A condensation-expansion turbine works by using steam to turn a series of blades, which are connected to a central shaft. The steam is first heated and pressurized, and then enters the turbine through a series of nozzles. As the steam expands and loses pressure, it moves through the blades, causing them to rotate. This rotation is used to power a generator, which produces electricity.

3. What are some advantages of using a condensation-expansion turbine?

One advantage of using a condensation-expansion turbine is that it is highly efficient, with some models achieving efficiencies of over 90%. This means that more energy can be extracted from the steam, resulting in higher power output. Additionally, these turbines are relatively simple in design, making them easy to maintain and operate.

4. What are some common applications of condensation-expansion turbines?

Condensation-expansion turbines are commonly used in power plants to generate electricity. They are also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of paper, chemicals, and food. Additionally, smaller versions of these turbines can be found in residential and commercial buildings, where they are used to generate electricity for on-site use.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using a condensation-expansion turbine?

One potential drawback of using a condensation-expansion turbine is the high initial cost of installation. These turbines require specialized equipment and infrastructure, which can be expensive to build and maintain. Additionally, the use of steam in these turbines can also pose safety risks, as high temperatures and pressures are involved. Proper training and safety protocols must be in place to prevent accidents.