I am trying to design an axial turbine for my project

In summary, a chemical engineering student is working on designing a geothermal power plant and has been tasked with designing an n-pentane turbine. However, they are struggling with understanding the main components and finding a detailed n-pentane steam table. They are looking for guidance on how to design a simplified version of the turbine and are limited on time. They have already done some work on determining temperatures, pressures, and flow rates, and are now seeking help with designing the nozzle, rotor, and blades. Due to financial constraints, they are unable to hire someone to do the design for them.
AhmedAB
TL;DR Summary: I have a problem designing an axial turbine, there is a lot I don't understand

hey, how are you all doing, I am a chemical engineering student working on designing a geothermal power plant, weirdly I have been told that I must design an n-pentane turbine for our Plant, it's so confusing there is a lot I don't understand and sadly I don't have enough time to read entire books, so I am asking if you can guide me to how to design a steam turbine main components and how to can my design match my turbine work output. also, where can I find an n-pentane steam table I couldn't find one that was detailed, thank you so much for reading, and forgive me a lot for asking too much .

Physics news on Phys.org
AhmedAB said:
I don't have enough time to read entire books
Perhaps you can hire someone to do that for you ?
And then you could also hire someone to design your turbine ...

Bottom line: what are you prepared to do yourself ?

##\ ##

Likes AhmedAB and Lnewqban
AhmedAB said:
I am a chemical engineering student working on designing a geothermal power plant
A full design is far beyond the scope of a student design project, so you have to simplify. Focus on the cold side temperature, hot side temperature, and the distance between them. Look at the relationship between heat exchanger sizes and temperature drops across the heat exchangers. Then flow losses vs pipe sizes for the distance between hot and cold sides.

Then add all that up to find the temperatures and pressures at the inlet and outlet of the turbine, and the flow rate through the turbine. Put everything into a flow diagram. If time remains, start refining the design of major components.

Mentor note: This thread moved to homework forum from technical forum.

Likes anorlunda
jrmichler said:
A full design is far beyond the scope of a student design project, so you have to simplify. Focus on the cold side temperature, hot side temperature, and the distance between them. Look at the relationship between heat exchanger sizes and temperature drops across the heat exchangers. Then flow losses vs pipe sizes for the distance between hot and cold sides.

Then add all that up to find the temperatures and pressures at the inlet and outlet of the turbine, and the flow rate through the turbine. Put everything into a flow diagram. If time remains, start refining the design of major components.

Mentor note: This thread moved to homework forum from technical forum.
I fully agree with you a full design seems like a pain to do, what I am aiming for is a way less detailed design more specifically about the measurement of the nozzle, rotor, blades, etc, I don't want to go deep into design cause it will take a huge portion of my time as you said, also all that you said is thankfully ready or being working on at the moment, also forgive me I am new to this forum I am trying to understand it more, thank you for responding I really appreciate it.

BvU said:
Perhaps you can hire someone to do that for you ?
And then you could also hire someone to design your turbine ...

Bottom line: what are you prepared to do yourself ?

##\ ##
I wish I could hire someone but unfortunately, I am not able to finically so I am compelled to do it myself, but of course, not a full design just a simplified version, Thank you for responding I really appreciate it, its my pleasure really

Likes BvU

1. What is an axial turbine?

An axial turbine is a type of turbine that uses a series of rotating blades to convert fluid or gas energy into mechanical energy. The blades are arranged in a cylindrical shape, with the fluid or gas flowing parallel to the axis of rotation.

2. What are the main components of an axial turbine?

The main components of an axial turbine include the rotor, stator, blades, and shaft. The rotor is the rotating part of the turbine, while the stator is the stationary part. The blades are attached to the rotor and are responsible for converting the fluid or gas energy into rotational energy. The shaft connects the rotor to the external load.

3. How does an axial turbine work?

An axial turbine works by using the kinetic energy of a fluid or gas to rotate the blades, which in turn rotates the rotor. As the fluid or gas passes through the blades, it causes them to spin, and the rotational energy is transferred to the rotor. The rotor then transfers this energy to the shaft, which can be used to power a generator or other mechanical device.

4. What are the advantages of using an axial turbine?

Some advantages of using an axial turbine include high efficiency, compact design, and low maintenance. Axial turbines are also able to handle a wide range of flow rates and pressures, making them versatile for different applications. They are also relatively simple in design, making them easier to manufacture and install.

5. What factors should be considered when designing an axial turbine?

When designing an axial turbine, factors such as the fluid or gas properties, flow rate, pressure, and desired power output should be taken into account. The blade shape, angle, and number of blades also play a crucial role in the turbine's performance. Additionally, the materials used for the turbine components should be carefully selected to ensure durability and efficiency.