Condition for formation of ionic bond

In summary, the conditions for the formation of an ionic bond, according to the textbook, state that the cation should be large and the anion should be small. However, in the image of the NaCl lattice structure, it appears that this is reversed. This raises the question of whether the textbook is incorrect or if there is a difference between ionic bonds and lattice structures. It is important to note that there is no such thing as a single ionic bond or molecule, as all pure ionic substances exist only as ionic crystals. Therefore, the size of the ions does not play a role in the formation of an ionic bond, but rather in the type of lattice structure that is formed.
gracy
In my textbook one of the conditions for formation of ionic bond is given as
The cation should be large and anion should be small
But in the image of Nacl lattice structure ,we can see that it is other way around

I am not getting the reason,Is my textbook wrong ?
Or it has something to do with difference between ionic bond and lattice structure.I mean the picture I have attached is of crystal lattice not of single ionic bond between Sodium and chloride ion.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
gracy said:
But in the image of Nacl lattice structure ,we can see that it is other way around
upload_2015-4-19_12-56-42.jpeg

gracy said:
In my textbook one of the conditions for formation of ionic bond is given as
The cation should be large and anion should be small

Pure nonsense, no such condition.

Additionally, there is no such thing as a "single ionic bond" and a "single ionic molecule". All pure ionic substances exist only as ionic crystals (well, is some highly exotic conditions you can observe single molecules, it doesn't change the validity of the general statements).

Borek said:
Pure nonsense, no such condition.
That means my textbook is wrong.

Looks like.

And there is no such condition as
anion should be large and cation should be small either,right?

No, sizes don't matter at all.

They matter when it comes to the type of the lattice that they will build, but that's another story.

What is an ionic bond?

An ionic bond is a type of chemical bond that forms between a positively charged ion and a negatively charged ion. This bond is formed through the transfer of electrons from one atom to another.

What are the conditions necessary for the formation of an ionic bond?

The conditions for the formation of an ionic bond include having atoms with significantly different electronegativities (one atom with a strong tendency to attract electrons and one with a weak tendency), and a large difference in ionization energies between the two atoms.

What types of elements typically form ionic bonds?

Ionic bonds are typically formed between metals and non-metals. This is because metals have low electronegativities and tend to lose electrons to become positively charged ions, while non-metals have high electronegativities and tend to gain electrons to become negatively charged ions.

Can ionic bonds form between two non-metals?

No, ionic bonds cannot form between two non-metals. This is because both non-metals have similar electronegativities and are likely to share electrons, forming a covalent bond instead.

How does the strength of an ionic bond compare to other types of bonds?

Ionic bonds are typically stronger than covalent bonds, but weaker than metallic bonds. This is because the electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions in an ionic bond is stronger than the sharing of electrons in a covalent bond, but not as strong as the delocalized electron sea in a metallic bond.