Conductor inside capacitor check

In summary: I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious. In summary, the capacitance of an isolated conductor placed between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor can be found by dividing the capacitor into two capacitors in series, each with a higher capacitance. As the thickness of the conductor approaches 0, the capacitance approaches the original equation C = A/(4*pi*d).
nissanztt90

Homework Statement

An isolated conductor of thickness 'a' is placed between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor. Find the capacitance

Homework Equations

C = A/(4*pi*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

C1 = A/(4*pi*((d-a)/2))
C2 = A/(4*pi*((d-a)/2))

1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2

Plugging in C1 and C2...

1/C = (8*pi*((d-a)/2)) / A

or

C = A / (8*pi*((d-a)/2)

If I am understanding this correctly...the conductor divides the capacitor into two capacitors in series...if someone can confirm this i appreciate it. TIA.

Physics news on Phys.org
nissanztt90 said:

Homework Statement

An isolated conductor of thickness 'a' is placed between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor. Find the capacitance

Homework Equations

C = A/(4*pi*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

C1 = A/(4*pi*((d-a)/2))
C2 = A/(4*pi*((d-a)/2))

1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2

Plugging in C1 and C2...

1/C = (8*pi*((d-a)/2)) / A

or

C = A / (8*pi*((d-a)/2)

If I am understanding this correctly...the conductor divides the capacitor into two capacitors in series...if someone can confirm this i appreciate it. TIA.

Yes, it does divide it into two capacitors in series, each with a higher capacitance. If the dividing conductor is infinitely thin, then the change in capacitance should be what?

BTW, I'm not familiar with the capacitance equation you are using. Is it the form that is used in advanced physics units? The engineering form that I'm used to is:

[tex]C = \frac{\epsilon A}{d}[/tex]

for a large thin capacitor (so edge fringe effects are negligible).

The form i am using is just in CGS units...where the SI form is just divided by epsilon*4*pi I believe so that k = 1.

As the conductor thickness goes to 0, (d-a) will go to d, and the division by 2 will be negated by the factor of 8 as opposed to 4...so it will go back to the original equation.

Thanks for the note about the cgs approach -- I was thinking that was the difference. And you are correct on the limit -- makes sense after all. It's a good way to check your equations, but it looks like you already knew that.

Yes i did...thanks again for the check.

Related to Conductor inside capacitor check

1. What is a conductor inside a capacitor check?

A conductor inside a capacitor check is a procedure used to determine if a conductor is present inside a capacitor. This is important because the presence of a conductor can affect the performance and safety of the capacitor.

2. How is a conductor inside a capacitor checked?

To check for a conductor inside a capacitor, a voltmeter or multimeter can be used to measure the voltage across the capacitor's terminals. If there is a voltage reading, it indicates the presence of a conductor inside the capacitor.

3. Why is it important to check for a conductor inside a capacitor?

A conductor inside a capacitor can cause a short circuit, which can damage the capacitor and other components in the circuit. It can also affect the capacitance and voltage rating of the capacitor, leading to incorrect circuit performance.

4. Can a conductor inside a capacitor be removed?

In some cases, a conductor inside a capacitor can be removed by discharging the capacitor and removing the foreign object. However, it is important to take proper safety precautions and consult a professional if necessary.

5. How often should a conductor inside a capacitor be checked?

It is recommended to check for a conductor inside a capacitor during routine maintenance or when troubleshooting circuit issues. Additionally, if any changes in circuit performance are noticed, a conductor check should be performed.