Confined thermal stress with changing modulus

In summary, the speaker is looking to compare rods made of different materials based on the amount of force or stress they would generate when fixed at both ends. They usually use the product of the coefficient of thermal expansion, change in temperature, and modulus, but have found that the modulus and rate of expansion and contraction are not constant. They are wondering if the same calculation can be used for both increasing and decreasing temperatures and the response confirms that it should be the case. The stress should always be \sigma=-\alpha(T)E(T)\Delta T, where \alpha(T) is the temperature-dependent coefficient of thermal expansion.
cindmp
Hello,
I would like to compare rods made of different materials based on the amount of force or stress they would generate when fixed at both ends. normally, I would just compare the product of the coefficient of thermal expansion ([itex] \Alpha [/itex]), change in temperature ([itex] \Delta T [/itex]) and modulus (E). However, I have taken data to get modulus vs. temperature and free deflection vs temperature using DMA and TMA and the modulus and rate of expansion and contraction are not constant.

If, starting from room temperature and increasing in temperature, the modulus decreases, I would expect the stress just to be
[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\sigma &= E(T) * \Delta L(T)/L
\end{equation*}
[/tex]
where Delta L(T) is the amount of unconstrained extension due to the change in temperature and L is the original length. On the other hand, as temperature decreases, modulus is increasing and I would expect the stress generated to be the sum of the incremental changes in length/original length multiplied by the modulus at each temperature. I would think that I would use the same calculation whether it is getting colder and stiffer or warmer and softer, but maybe this is not the case?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi cindmp, welcome to PF.

cindmp said:
I would think that I would use the same calculation whether it is getting colder and stiffer or warmer and softer, but maybe this is not the case?

No, that should be the case. The stress should always be [itex]\sigma=-\alpha(T)E(T)\Delta T[/itex], where [itex]\alpha(T)=L(T)/(L_0\Delta T)[/itex] is the temperature-dependent coefficient of thermal expansion that you've measured.

What is confined thermal stress with changing modulus?

Confined thermal stress with changing modulus refers to the phenomenon where a material experiences stress due to changes in temperature while being confined or restrained in some way. This can occur in various materials such as metals, ceramics, and polymers.

How does confined thermal stress with changing modulus affect materials?

This type of stress can cause materials to deform, crack, or fail due to the mismatch between their thermal expansion coefficients and the constraints placed on them. It can also lead to changes in the material's mechanical properties, such as stiffness and strength.

What are some common methods for mitigating confined thermal stress with changing modulus?

One method is to use materials with similar thermal expansion coefficients to reduce the mismatch between the constrained material and its surroundings. Another approach is to use design techniques, such as incorporating joints or notches, to allow for expansion and contraction without causing excessive stress.

What are the applications of studying confined thermal stress with changing modulus?

This type of stress is relevant in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and electronics, where materials are often subjected to extreme temperatures and constrained environments. Understanding and mitigating it can help improve the durability and reliability of these materials and products.

How can confined thermal stress with changing modulus be modeled and predicted?

Scientists and engineers use various analytical and numerical methods, such as finite element analysis, to model and predict the behavior of materials under confined thermal stress. These models can help identify potential failure points and inform design decisions for more robust and durable materials.