Finding Vo Using Node Voltage Method: A Calculator Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the voltage Vo using the node voltage method. The individual is able to get the correct answer when finding the equivalent impedance and using voltage divider, but gets a different answer when using node voltage calculations. They introduce a second node to solve for Vo, and find that the node equation for V1 is incorrect. They then discuss their logic for the node voltage equation and the importance of carefully checking each term in the equation.
serp777

Homework Statement

Find the voltage Vo using node voltage method specifically.

Homework Equations

phasor.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to get the correct answer when finding the equivalent impedance, then determining the current, and then finding the voltage at the first node V1 by subtrating the source from the voltage drop across the inductor. Then I simply use voltage divider to find Vo.

However, using node voltage at location V1 gets me a completely different answer which means I am doing something wrong in my node voltage calculations, but i cannot identify what it is. I am using the TI-84 caclulator to do these calculations.

Rearranging the eqn to solve for V1 using nodal analysis, V1(1/10j + 1/50 + 1/(30+10j)) = 240/10j= 24j

V1 = 24j/(1/10j + 1/50 + 1/(30 + 10j))
So V1 = 203.7735+113.207j which is teh answer provided by the calculator.
Converting to polar I get 233.108*e^(0.507j) where 0.507 = 0.507*180/pi = 29.04 degrees, which is very differnent according the solution i posted. So where am I going wrong with this calculation? I've tried it three times.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, V1 is not the same as Vo. Solving for V1 is not solving for Vo.

Second, your node equation looks suspicious. Can you elaborate how you arrived at it?

If you want to solve for Vo using just nodal analysis, introduce a second node at the top of the 30 ohm resistor (yes, it's in the middle of a branch and is not an essential node, but it gives you direct access to Vo via node equation). Solve the pair of node equations for Vo.

Yes I know, but I cannot possibly get a correct Vo value without a correct V1 value in node voltage.

So since V1 is incorrect according to the solution i posted, it is the most logical place to look for errors.

Once a correct V1 is found, then I can find Vo

And the node voltage for V1 is (V1 - 240)/10j + V1/50 + V1/(30+ 10j) = 0

And for Vo the node voltage is:
(Vo - V1)/10j + Vo/30 = 0

The node voltage uses a KCL (V/Z = I), so my logic for the node voltage is that the voltage across (V1-240) the inductor impedane plus the voltage across the 50 ohm resistor, plus the voltage across the combination of impedanes from the resistor and the second inductor is equivalent to zero by

Last edited:
serp777 said:
Yes I know, but I cannot possibly get a correct Vo value without a correct V1 value in node voltage.
That's not strictly true if you introduce the non-essential node as I suggested. You only need solve the pair of node equations for that node's potential.

So since V1 is incorrect according to the solution i posted, it is the most logical place to look for errors.

Once a correct V1 is found, then I can find Vo

So, check carefully each term of your node equation. Pay attention to signs when terms are moved or reduced by complex operations.

serp777 said:
And the node voltage for V1 is (V1 - 240)/10j + V1/50 + V1/(30+ 10j) = 0

And for Vo the node voltage is:
(Vo - V1)/10j + Vo/30 = 0

Okay, those two equations look fine. Use the second one to replace V1 in the first equation and solve for Vo.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Node Voltage Method?

The Node Voltage Method is a circuit analysis technique used to find the voltage at each node in a circuit. It is based on the principle of Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and exiting a node must equal zero. This method is commonly used to solve complex circuits with multiple voltage sources.

2. How is the Node Voltage Method used to find Vo?

In order to find Vo using the Node Voltage Method, we first label each node in the circuit with a unique name or number. Next, we choose one of the nodes to be the reference node and assign it a voltage of 0. Then, we apply Kirchhoff's Current Law at each node and use the resulting equations to solve for the unknown node voltages. Once we have all the node voltages, we can calculate Vo using Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law.

3. Why is the Node Voltage Method a useful tool for circuit analysis?

The Node Voltage Method allows us to analyze complex circuits with multiple voltage sources and resistors. It is a systematic approach that can be used to solve any type of circuit, regardless of its complexity. Additionally, it provides insight into the behavior of individual nodes in the circuit, which can be useful for troubleshooting or designing new circuits.

4. What are some common challenges when using the Node Voltage Method?

One common challenge when using the Node Voltage Method is keeping track of all the variables and equations. As the number of nodes and components in the circuit increases, the number of equations needed to solve for all the node voltages also increases. This can become quite tedious and time-consuming. Additionally, some circuits may have dependent sources or non-linear components, which require additional techniques to solve.

5. How can a calculator puzzle be used to practice and improve understanding of the Node Voltage Method?

A calculator puzzle is a fun and interactive way to practice using the Node Voltage Method. It presents a simplified version of a circuit, where the user can input the resistor values and voltage sources, and the calculator will solve for the unknown node voltages. This allows the user to see the impact of changing different components in the circuit and helps improve their understanding of how the Node Voltage Method works.