uhh
1700939433965.png

Calculations with 1:
T1sintheta + T2sintheta = W
T1costheta = T2costheta

Calculations with 2:
Wsintheta = T1
Wcostheta = T2

These are not equivalent. Can someone point out the flaw in my logic?

Edit: System is in equilibrium!

Physics news on Phys.org
laser said:
Homework Statement: Confused about resolving Tension and Weight
Welcome to PF!
When giving the Homework Statement, please give the full statement exactly as given to you.

laser said:
Relevant Equations: uhh
Can you list any relevant equations for the forces when you have static equilibrium?

laser said:
Calculations with 1:
T1sintheta + T2sintheta = W
T1costheta = T2costheta
These look right.

laser said:
Calculations with 2:
Wsintheta = T1
Wcostheta = T2

These are not equivalent. Can someone point out the flaw in my logic?

It's hard to follow your logic based on the little that you have written down. The equation ##W \sin \theta = T_1## is incorrect. I'm guessing that you neglected the fact that ##T_2## has a component parallel to ##T_1##. That is, ##T_2## is not perpendicular to ##T_1## for general values of ##\theta##. Likewise, your equation ##W \cos \theta = T_2## is incorrect.

Likes PeroK
TSny said:
When giving the Homework Statement, please give the full statement exactly as given to you.
Oops, probably posted in the wrong forum. This isn't a homework, question, just something I was wondering about.
TSny said:
It's hard to follow your logic based on the little that you have written down. The equation Wsin⁡θ=T1 is incorrect. I'm guessing that you neglected the fact that T2 has a component parallel to T1. That is, T2 is not perpendicular to T1 for general values of θ. Likewise, your equation Wcos⁡θ=T2 is incorrect.
Fair point, I agree with you.

Let's say theta = 45 degrees. That makes them perpendicular, but the equations still don't work out.

From calculation 1:
We get W = Tsqrt(2)

From calculation 2:
We get W=T/sqrt(2)

laser said:
Let's say theta = 45 degrees. That makes them perpendicular, but the equations still don't work out.

From calculation 1:
We get W = Tsqrt(2)

From calculation 2:
We get W=T/sqrt(2)
Check your equation for calculation 2.

Likes laser
Likes laser

What is tension and weight?

Tension and weight are two physical forces that act on objects. Tension is a pulling force that occurs when an object is stretched or pulled, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object.

How do tension and weight affect objects?

Tension and weight can affect objects in different ways. Tension can cause objects to stretch or deform, while weight can cause objects to accelerate towards the ground.

How do you resolve tension and weight in a system?

To resolve tension and weight in a system, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion to calculate the net force and acceleration of the object.

What are some common examples of tension and weight in everyday life?

Some common examples of tension and weight in everyday life include a person carrying a heavy backpack (feeling the tension in their shoulders) and a bridge supporting the weight of cars and trucks.

How does tension and weight play a role in engineering and design?

Tension and weight are important considerations in engineering and design. Engineers must carefully consider these forces when designing structures such as bridges and buildings to ensure they can withstand the tension and weight they will experience.