Confused about solving RC circuits with nodal analysis

In summary, the problem discussed was about the direction of current in a capacitor circuit. While the solution showed a positive current, some were confused as the current seemed to be going towards the point v(t). However, it was explained that in nodal analysis, the assumption is that all currents are leaving the node, as seen from the terms for the resistors. Therefore, the assumed current direction is from the v(t) node to the capacitor. This was clarified and understood by the participants.
timnswede
Problem is in the picture below.
5HtQaDd.png

The problem is already solved, but I am confused as to why C(dv/dt) is positive and not negative, since the current is coming out of the capacitor and towards the point v(t), which is not away from v(t) like the solution shows. But if I solve the problem with the negative sign there I get an infinite voltage which obviously makes no sense. Can someone explain why we assume it's going away, unlike what would be done if it was a given current source?

Physics news on Phys.org
In nodal analysis when one sums the currents and sets the result to zero, the sum is either that all currents are assumed to be coming into the node, or that all currents are leaving the node. There's no mix of directions.

In this case the assumption is that all currents are leaving the node, as can be verified by the terms for the resistors. So the assumed current direction is from the v(t) node to the capacitor.

gneill said:
In nodal analysis when one sums the currents and sets the result to zero, the sum is either that all currents are assumed to be coming into the node, or that all currents are leaving the node. There's no mix of directions.

In this case the assumption is that all currents are leaving the node, as can be verified by the terms for the resistors. So the assumed current direction is from the v(t) node to the capacitor.
OK, that makes sense, thank you for clarifying.

1. How do I approach solving an RC circuit using nodal analysis?

To solve an RC circuit using nodal analysis, you first need to identify all the nodes in the circuit. Then, assign a variable to each node and write equations based on Kirchhoff's current law for each node. Finally, use the equations to solve for the unknown variables.

2. What is the difference between nodal analysis and mesh analysis?

Nodal analysis is used to solve circuits by considering the voltage at each node, while mesh analysis is based on the current through each mesh in the circuit. Nodal analysis is usually preferred for circuits with more nodes, while mesh analysis is more suitable for circuits with more meshes.

3. How do I handle non-ideal components in nodal analysis?

In nodal analysis, non-ideal components such as capacitors and inductors can be represented using their respective impedance values. Capacitors are represented by 1/jωC and inductors are represented by jωL, where ω is the frequency and C and L are the capacitance and inductance values, respectively.

4. Can I use nodal analysis to solve circuits with multiple sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used to solve circuits with multiple sources. The approach is the same as for a circuit with a single source, but you will have additional equations to account for the different sources in the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is not suitable for circuits with dependent sources, such as voltage-controlled voltage sources or current-controlled current sources. It also becomes more complex for circuits with non-linear components, such as diodes or transistors.