Nodal analysis of this circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors

In summary, the voltages in the circuit are V_a=4.13V and V_b=1.11V. The current through R3 is I=V_a/R3.
Iqish
Homework Statement
nodal analysis
Relevant Equations
Someone who can help me to check if my ekvation is correct for V_a and V_b?
Here is the question

9C1EB1D8-7902-464D-B1B1-17318D8DB040.jpeg

a. Plot nodes in the problem and indicate how many equations will be obtained.
answer: two unknown variables
b. Use node analysis. Derive the system of equations for the voltages in the circuit.
6D1F746B-1367-4668-9563-D27CDABE1D1B.jpeg

9F05CA40-29AC-48A5-9B42-AE0B533A5CFF.jpeg

question: Did I calculate right V_a and V_b?
C. Calculate the respective node voltage, and then calculate the current through R3 with direction.

Attachments

• 95E01B7B-08E4-43F7-8D4C-D148E1AD34CC.jpeg
    95E01B7B-08E4-43F7-8D4C-D148E1AD34CC.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 58
Physics news on Phys.org
I only checked your initial two equations for the two unknowns, and it looks like you wrote them out correctly. Two suggestions:

** It's best to keep using the variable names as long as possible in your calculations before substituting in the values to get the final numerical solution. So in your equations, I would have used ##R_1## for as many steps as possible, instead of substituting in ##3.3## right away.

** Please learn to use LaTeX to post your math equations at PF. I would have been able to check all of your work in the time it took me to type these few words if your work were posted as LaTeX instead of as dark, small cellphone pictures. You can find a helpful LaTeX tutorial below the Edit window, "LaTeX Guide". Thanks
1663110049605.png
:smile:

Likes topsquark
In addition: If you are just trying to verify results, try the other common methods of Branch Current Analysis and\or Mesh Analysis (assuming you have learned\are learning them), its good practice.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark and berkeman
Hi, calculate the current through R3 with direction. Someone who can help me ?

erobz said:
In addition: If you are just trying to verify results, try the other common methods of Branch Current Analysis and\or Mesh Analysis (assuming you have learned\are learning them), its good practice.
No, not yet 😕

Iqish said:
Hi, calculate the current through R3 with direction. Someone who can help me?
Have you calculated the voltage ##V_a## or not?

I don’t know how to use the LaTeX, so I inserted picture of my solution.
V_a=4.13V and V_b=1.11V

Attachments

• 2F4CFBCE-D70C-4EC8-88A0-872E4D0A1331.jpeg
    2F4CFBCE-D70C-4EC8-88A0-872E4D0A1331.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 5B21683E-F97E-4545-9F7E-137704A4B334.jpeg
    5B21683E-F97E-4545-9F7E-137704A4B334.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 54
Iqish said:
I don’t know how to use the LaTeX, so I inserted picture of my solution.
V_a=4.13V and V_b=1.11V
If you know ##V_a## you can find the current through ##R_3## quite readily via Ohms Law.

See the LaTeX Guide located of the bottom of any new reply

So If I use Ohms Law
I=V/R so the current through R_3 should be
I=V_a/R3
I= 4.13/8.2=0.50 A
Is that correct?

Likes erobz
Iqish said:
So If I use Ohms Law
I=V/R so the current through R_3 should be
I=V_a/R3
I= 4.13/8.2=0.50 A
Is that correct?
A few thoughts which might help…

##V_A## is the potential at one end of ##R_3##.
The potential at the other end of ##R_3## is zero.
So the potential difference across ##R_3## is ##V_A-0 = V_A##.

So IF your value for ##V_A## is correct, your answer for the magnitude of the current through ##R_3## is correct. (But you forgot to give the direction.)

You can easily check your answers for ##V_A## and ##V_B##. Back-substitute into your initial equations. For example, for the node A equation:

##\frac {V_A-8}{3.3}+ \frac {V_A} {8.2} + \frac {V_A- V_B}{3.3} = 0##
should give
##\frac {4.13-8}{3.3}+ \frac {4.13} {8.2} + \frac{4.13- 1.1}{3.3} = 0##

Does it work (ignoring possible small rounding-errors)?

Your method of working can be shortened/simplified quite a lot.

##\frac {V_A-8}{3.3}+ \frac {V_A} {8.2} + \frac {V_A- V_B}{3.3} = 0##
Multiply both sides by ##3.3 \times 8.2##.
##8.2(V_A-8)+ 3.3(V_A) + 8.2(V_A- V_B) = 0##
Simplify this.
Do the same for the node_B equation.
You are then left with 2 (relatively) simple equations.

(And remember, as already explained by @berkeman in Post #4 [Edit: whoops, that should be Post #2], working with symbols and substituting values in the later stages, is often the most effective way of working.)

You haven’t included units. You are assuming the values in the diagram have units of V, A and Ω. But they could just as easily be, for example, V, mA and kΩ. Check. Always include units.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and erobz
My equation for VA is wrong,
8.2(VA−8)+3.3(VA)+8.2(VA−VB)=0
8.2(4.13-8)+3.3(4.13)+8.2(4.13-1.11)=6.659
And the same for equation for VB
1(VB-VA)+3.3VB-I1=0
(1.11-4.13)+(3.3*4.13)-0.3=0.843
I really don’t know what is wrong if the question. I don’t know how to continue this question. Someone who can help me with this one?

Iqish said:
My equation for VA is wrong,
8.2(VA−8)+3.3(VA)+8.2(VA−VB)=0
8.2(4.13-8)+3.3(4.13)+8.2(4.13-1.11)=6.659
And the same for equation for VB
1(VB-VA)+3.3VB-I1=0
(1.11-4.13)+(3.3*4.13)-0.3=0.843
I really don’t know what is wrong if the question. I don’t know how to continue this question. Someone who can help me with this one?
It looks like your two initial equations are correct - but you have made one or more mistakes in the working (algebra/arithmetic) when solving the equations.

Using back-substitution shows your solution doesn't work. This means the working is wrong - it doesn't mean the initial equations are wrong. Back substitition can not idenitify incorrect initial equations.

Try solving the equations a different way (e.g. see Post #10).

Ok I will try to solve the equation again.

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits by examining the voltage at each node (connection point) in the circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node.

2. How do you apply nodal analysis to a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors?

To apply nodal analysis to a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors, you first need to identify all the nodes in the circuit. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law to write equations for each node, taking into account the voltage sources and resistors connected to that node. Finally, you can solve the resulting system of equations to find the voltage at each node.

3. What are the limitations of nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis can become complicated and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of nodes. It also assumes that all components in the circuit are linear, meaning that their behavior can be described by a straight line on a graph. If the circuit contains non-linear components, nodal analysis may not provide accurate results.

4. Can nodal analysis be used for AC circuits?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, for AC circuits, the voltages and currents at each node will be represented as complex numbers, taking into account the phase and frequency of the AC signal.

5. Are there any alternative methods to nodal analysis for circuit analysis?

Yes, there are other methods for circuit analysis, such as mesh analysis and Thevenin's theorem. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of circuits or can be used in combination with nodal analysis to simplify the calculations.