Confused about tuition and stipends for science Masters/PhD programs

In summary, many universities offer good stipends for research-based graduate programs in science fields. There may or may not be tuition, depending on the institution and program. Tuition waivers are common, and housing is often provided at a subsidized rate. The stipend for Ph.D. students allows for a decent living. The details of who pays for tuition can vary and involve complex formulas. Graduate students can also be paid through teaching or research assistant positions.
CYP450
So from looking at a lot of universities' graduate programs for science Masters and PhD's (physics, engineering, materials science, chemistry, molecular biology, etc), a lot seem to offer pretty good stipends (in the $20,000 - $30,000 range) if you enter a research-based program and do research for the school.

The thing is, is there still tuition?

It might be a dumb question, but it would just seem odd to me if they gave you a lot of money but it costs you just as much to attend; it would just cancel out.

Physics news on Phys.org
tuition is waived.

chill_factor said:
tuition is waived.

It depends on the university. For some public universities, you pay tuition, but you are counted as a resident, so the tuition isn't that bad. The other big thing that the university often does is provide housing at extremely subsidized rates.

It might be a dumb question, but it would just seem odd to me if they gave you a lot of money but it costs you just as much to attend; it would just cancel out.

For science Ph.D.'s it works out so that you can eek out a decent existence.

The other thing, it used to seem weird to me to have people pay you money to take some of it back, but it turns out that there are some extremely complicated formulas that work out "who gets what" and a lot of this is to make things "fit the formula." I think it's quite educational to look at the stream of numbers and see who gets what.

CYP450 said:
So from looking at a lot of universities' graduate programs for science Masters and PhD's (physics, engineering, materials science, chemistry, molecular biology, etc), a lot seem to offer pretty good stipends (in the $20,000 - $30,000 range) if you enter a research-based program and do research for the school.

The thing is, is there still tuition?

Different institutions have different details, but in general a graduate student can (aside from outside employment) get paid for being a teaching assistant or a research assistant. You do not do research 'for the school'- you do research for a the PI who is paying you.

Teaching assistants are paid through the Department, and in addition to a possible tuition waiver, there is a stipend. Research assistants are paid through the PI and can cover tuition and stipend. MS students get paid less than PhD students- the numbers you put up are probably for PhD students.

Who pays the tuition, in the case of a waiver, is where things can get interesting- there are a lot of people who get the tuition money- Department, Dean, Provost, and the details depend on what those offices agree on. Here, TA tuition would be paid through the Department, and our TAs have to pay tuition, AFAIK. RA tuition is covered by the Graduate college when I pay a stipend, so my RAs that I pay a stipend for also have their tuition covered. I also have RAs that are paid hourly (undergrads, for example), and their tuition is not waived.

It is a common misconception that graduate students in science programs do not have to pay tuition. In most cases, tuition is still required, but it is often covered by the stipend provided by the university. This means that although you will receive a stipend, it is not additional income on top of free tuition. The stipend is meant to cover both living expenses and tuition costs.

However, there are some universities that offer full funding for graduate students, which means they cover both tuition and provide a stipend. These opportunities can be highly competitive and often require students to work as teaching or research assistants.

It is important to thoroughly research the specific program and university you are interested in to understand their funding structure and what is included in the stipend. It is also a good idea to discuss funding options with the program director or current graduate students to get a better understanding of the financial support available.

Related to Confused about tuition and stipends for science Masters/PhD programs

1. What is the difference between tuition and stipends in science Masters/PhD programs?

Tuition refers to the cost of attending the program, which usually covers expenses such as classes, facilities, and resources. Stipends, on the other hand, are payments made to students to cover living expenses, such as housing and food, while they are enrolled in the program.

2. Are tuition and stipends included in the same financial package for science Masters/PhD programs?

No, tuition and stipends are typically separate components of a financial package. Tuition is usually paid to the school, while stipends are paid directly to the student.

3. Do all science Masters/PhD programs offer tuition waivers and stipends?

No, not all programs offer tuition waivers and stipends. Some programs may only offer one or the other, while others may not offer any financial support at all. It is important to research and inquire about the specific financial support offered by each program.

4. How much can I expect to receive in a stipend for a science Masters/PhD program?

The amount of stipend varies greatly depending on the program, location, and field of study. In general, stipends can range from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars per year. It is important to research the average stipend for your specific program and location.

5. Do I have to pay back my stipend for a science Masters/PhD program?

No, stipends are typically considered non-taxable income and do not have to be paid back. However, it is important to note that some programs may require students to fulfill certain obligations, such as teaching or research assistantships, in return for their stipend.