Is Changing My PhD Program After One Month a Wise Career Move?

In summary, the person changed their mind and decided to switch to electrical engineering instead of material science and engineering. They are currently applying to electrical engineering master's programs (self-funded), and they received support from their undergraduate LOR writers. However, they are not sure how they should frame their situation to admission committees. It seems like no matter how they frame it, it looks bad. They talked to their UG research advisor and he was not willing to write them a LOR since he believes they had a chance and they below it. They just don't see the point of doing something they are not happy about, let alone wasting others' time and resources.
Rudra K
I started my Ph.D program this year in material science and engineering at a reputed school in the US. After a month I realized that I am more interested in how electrical engineers approach nanotechnology/microelectronics. I liked the idea of applying science to optimize devices and make useful tools out of novel materials.

I realized that most of the work of MSE is focused on synthesizing, characterizing and observing and explaining phenomena in materials, and not really concerned about applications. I also realized that I am not really interested in pursuing a PhD now, and that will not harm my job prospects. However, a job in this field in my country requires an electrical engineering degree.

So I decided to drop out of my program (after 1 month in) since I saw no point in committing to an advisor, and it would be unethical to take funding if my intentions are to leave with a master's degree. I am currently applying to electrical engineering master's programs (self-funded), and I received support from my undergraduate LOR writers.

However, I am not sure how I should frame my situation to admission committees. It seems like no matter how I frame it, it looks bad. How would I frame this in my SOP? Did I ruin my admission chances? I have a good Undergraduate GPA (>3.8) and a year and a half of research experience.

I talked to my UG research advisor and he was not willing to write me a LOR since he believes I had a chance and I below it. I just don't see the point of doing something I am not happy about, let alone wasting others' time and resources. I know my situation is rare but I would really appreciate any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also wanted to add that a master's degree will allow me to narrow down my specific research interests if I decided to pursue a PhD in the future.

Last edited:
People change their minds, its perhaps poor timing but its very early in the cycle so I don't think it will impact you. I think you can do this once in your academic career without a heavy penalty.

It would have been much worse to switch midway or towards the end but again if you have a serious change of heart then that's what you should tell them. It's important to show that you have sticktoitiveness and that what you say is what you'll do.

Their concern will be about how committed you will be and given your history will you jump again or not.

I think since this is the first time then you are still okay.As an aside:

Sometimes in industry you'll be working at a job and decide you want something better and so apply to another company and get an offer but then your old boss says wait I can do better I'll give you a healthy raise...

The question is do you take your boss’s offer or do you jump?

Its a hard question to answer, but one thing is certain if you accept the boss’s raise and stay, you'll either do well and thrive or your next raise will be significantly delayed or smaller since you forced your old boss’s hand. The other thing is the tactic will likely fail if you do it again a year or two later.

In the case of the new job offer, you could politely decline it and try to keep it open for the next time you decide to leave. Basically, you have a delicate balancing act to keep your options open.

Likes Rudra K
Just a comment on materials engineering - my father managed materials labs for IBM, and the work was all applications oriented. Questions might be related to using an existing material in new conditions and studying how it might respond, or coming up with a new material having properties required for some new device.

Likes berkeman
I totally understand. There is lots of similarity between MSE and EE when it comes to nanotechnology/microelectronics and photonics. but it seems to me that EE is more focused on the application and optimization of devices rather than " here is a material it exhibits so and so, feel free to use it as you like". Another reason for switching to EE, is because MSE does not exist in any university in my country which could affect my employability.

Also beside the issues of interest fit, there is the issues of diploma recognition. Back in my country, a masters degree is required before PhD in order for the diploma to be recognized by the ministry of education. Also, MSE is not offered by almost all universities so employers back home are not familiar with the major.

I don't want to turn my SOP into "why I left" so what should I briefly mention to explain my change of field and program?

What is considered career suicide?

Career suicide is a term used to describe actions or decisions that significantly harm a person's career prospects, often resulting in job loss or damage to their professional reputation.

How do I know if I have committed career suicide?

It can be difficult to determine if you have committed career suicide, as it depends on the specific circumstances and consequences of your actions. Some signs may include losing your job, being blacklisted by industry professionals, or receiving negative feedback from colleagues and superiors.

What are some common ways people commit career suicide?

Some common ways people commit career suicide include unethical behavior, violating company policies, poor performance, damaging relationships with colleagues or superiors, and making public or offensive comments.

Can career suicide be reversed?

In some cases, career suicide can be reversed, but it depends on the severity of the situation and the willingness of the person to take corrective actions. It may involve seeking help from a career counselor, improving job performance, apologizing and making amends for any wrongdoings, and rebuilding relationships with colleagues and superiors.

How can I prevent committing career suicide?

The best way to prevent committing career suicide is to always act professionally and ethically, follow company policies, maintain positive relationships with colleagues and superiors, and continuously strive for personal and professional growth and improvement.