Confused on creating a normalized histogram (on excel)

In summary: Right? In summary, to make a normal histogram in excel, you need to: 1) choose histogram input data values and bins, 2) automatically create the histogram, 3) re-scale the y-axis so the total area under the histogram = 1; that is, the frequencies sum to 1, so they are like probabilities.
thepatient
I have all the information I need, but I just need a bit of help on getting my data on a normalized histogram in excel.

First, if I'm not mistaking, a normalized histogram is just a normal histogram where it is roughly symmetrical about the curves centerline, is that correct?

I have a list of 25 data entries, and I have 6 bins, all on excel. I've been going through excel's help function and all over google to find out how to "normalize" a histogram but can't find anything helpful. XD Does anyone have an idea how I can do this?

I know that to make a normal histogram, you can go to "Data analysis", then choosing histogram, which allows you to choose input data values and bin's and automatically creates the histogram, but there is no option to normalize it.

Maybe I am completely off and don't really understand what normalizing means. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
thepatient said:
I have all the information I need, but I just need a bit of help on getting my data on a normalized histogram in excel.

First, if I'm not mistaking, a normalized histogram is just a normal histogram where it is roughly symmetrical about the curves centerline, is that correct?

I have a list of 25 data entries, and I have 6 bins, all on excel. I've been going through excel's help function and all over google to find out how to "normalize" a histogram but can't find anything helpful. XD Does anyone have an idea how I can do this?

I know that to make a normal histogram, you can go to "Data analysis", then choosing histogram, which allows you to choose input data values and bin's and automatically creates the histogram, but there is no option to normalize it.

Maybe I am completely off and don't really understand what normalizing means. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Google 'normalized histogram'. You will see that it means: re-scale the y-axis so the total area under the histogram = 1; that is, the frequencies sum to 1, so they are like probabilities. It has nothing to do with centerlines, or whatever. You can re-scale the y values yourself, then plot them as a bar chart.

RGV

Hmm, but that sounds like the standard normal distribution, or the P(Z) function, which gives the probability. Are those two the same thing?

thepatient said:
Hmm, but that sounds like the standard normal distribution, or the P(Z) function, which gives the probability. Are those two the same thing?

Absolutely NOT. A histogram describes measurements and may be representing a quantity that is very far from being normally distributed. For example, a histogram of data from an exponential distribution is about as far from the normal distribution as you can get. Still, we can normalize that data---but it still has nothing to do with the 'normal distribution'.

Do not be mislead by multiple usages of the term 'normal': we have normalized data (which may be non-normally distributed!), or we can have normally-distributed data (which might not be normalized!), etc.

RGV

Hmmm... So basically we need to use the frequency and divide by the number of data points, and that will be our y-axis. Is that right? If we do that, then the integral under the histogram = 1.

1. What is a normalized histogram?

A normalized histogram is a type of graphical representation that shows the frequency distribution of data. It differs from a regular histogram in that the values on the vertical axis represent relative frequencies or probabilities rather than absolute frequencies.

2. How do I create a normalized histogram on Excel?

To create a normalized histogram on Excel, you can use the built-in chart tool. First, select the data you want to plot. Then, click on the Insert tab and choose the Histogram chart type. In the Format Data Series sidebar, select the "Bin Width" option and choose the "Frequency" option under "Values." Lastly, click on the "Switch Row/Column" button to see the normalized histogram.

3. What is the purpose of a normalized histogram?

A normalized histogram is used to visualize the distribution of data in a more meaningful way. By normalizing the data, it allows for easier comparison of different data sets and allows for the identification of patterns and trends.

4. What is the difference between a normalized histogram and a regular histogram?

The main difference between a normalized histogram and a regular histogram is the vertical axis. In a regular histogram, the values on the vertical axis represent absolute frequencies, while in a normalized histogram, the values represent relative frequencies or probabilities.

5. Can I customize the appearance of a normalized histogram on Excel?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of a normalized histogram on Excel by changing the chart type, adding titles and labels, adjusting the bin width, and changing the colors and styles of the bars. You can also add trendlines and error bars to the chart for further analysis.