Confused on what degree to do for theoretical physics phd

In summary, the individual is in the UK and plans to study physics in university and then pursue a PhD in fundamental theoretical physics. They are unsure whether to study math or physics at the undergraduate level, as some PhD programs require a math degree or are in the math or mathematical physics departments. They are interested in various areas of physics and math, but are concerned that their desired research topics are located in the math department. They are seeking advice and opinions from others, including an academic advisor and friends in the field. Some suggest double majoring or minoring in math, while others recommend focusing on physics and self-studying math.
max1995
Hi guys :)

I am in the uk and will be going to university to study physics and the aim is to go on to do a phd in fundamental theoretical physics either in the uk or in the usa

However I am getting confused on what is better to study at undergrad between maths and physics as a lot of the phds I have looked at either ask for a maths degree or are in the maths or mathematical physics departments.

My question is, is it better to do a mathematics or physics degree to go onto study more mathematical side of theoretical physics. As I want to maximize my chances of getting into a top uni for the phd but I am also interested in many other aspects of physics (particle physics, condensed matter, medical physics, nuclear physics, cosmology etc)
Though don't get me wrong I believe there are lots of areas of pure and applied maths that aren't related to physics that I would enjoy too

The more advanced maths I can cover in my physics degree is Topology, Hamiltonian Systems, Differential Geometry, Linear and Nonlinear Waves, Transformation Geometry and a few other bits on top of the standard maths that a uk physics degree covers

The areas of theoretical physics I am interested in are
  • string theory (and m-theory)
  • non string theory quantum gravity
  • quantum field theory
  • black holes (I noticed that these are only researched in the maths departments for phd)
  • particle theory
  • quantum computing

thanks for any help you can give

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to do a PhD in physics, then study physics.

micromass said:
If you want to do a PhD in physics, then study physics.

Haha I know it sounds like a stupid question. I am just concerned that most the topics I aspire to do at phd (I know interests may change) for physics are all located in the maths department

max1995 said:
Haha I know it sounds like a stupid question. I am just concerned that most the topics I aspire to do at phd (I know interests may change) for physics are all located in the maths department

Sure, I get that. But when you know physics, then math is easy to self-study. On the other hand, if you know math, then physics can still be difficult.

max1995 said:

The hotshots in my cohort that wanted to go all the way and do physics theory all double majored in math and physics. Consider it, or consider minoring in math.

max1995 said:

I don't know how they do it in the UK, but don't you have an academic advisor, or someone like that, that you can ask a question such as this?

Zz.

ModusPwnd said:
The hotshots in my cohort that wanted to go all the way and do physics theory all double majored in math and physics. Consider it, or consider minoring in math.

Unfortunately my uni doesn't offer a maths and physics double major (though not many do) though they do offer a theoretical physics stream (covers the maths I mentioned in my op)

ZapperZ said:
I don't know how they do it in the UK, but don't you have an academic advisor, or someone like that, that you can ask a question such as this?

Zz.

I will have a personal tutor but I wanted to get other peoples opinions too as I feel like thet will be biased towards pushing me to do a physics degree as that's what they teach, research and love

All of my friends who did undergrad in the UK and work in quantum gravity/string theory did theoretical physics. At Cambridge you do part III in the third year. Some also take math classes like differential and algebraic geometry in grad school.

1. What is the difference between a degree in theoretical physics and a degree in applied physics for a PhD program?

A degree in theoretical physics focuses on the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It involves mathematical and conceptual modeling to understand the underlying mechanisms of physical phenomena. On the other hand, a degree in applied physics applies these principles to real-world problems and technologies. Both degrees can lead to a PhD in physics, but the focus and research topics may differ.

2. Are there any specific prerequisites or requirements for a PhD in theoretical physics?

While specific prerequisites may vary between universities, most programs require a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. A background in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics is also typically required. Additionally, research experience and strong critical thinking skills are highly valued for a PhD in theoretical physics.

3. How do I choose a research topic for a PhD in theoretical physics?

Choosing a research topic for a PhD in theoretical physics can be a daunting task. It is important to consider your interests and strengths, as well as the current research areas and faculty expertise within the program. It may also be helpful to read recent publications and attend seminars to gain a better understanding of the ongoing research in the field. Ultimately, your research topic should be something that you are passionate about and can contribute to the scientific community.

4. Can I pursue a PhD in theoretical physics with a non-physics undergraduate degree?

While a background in physics is typically preferred for a PhD in theoretical physics, it is not always a requirement. Some universities may offer bridging courses to help students with non-physics degrees catch up on the necessary physics knowledge. Additionally, if you have a strong background in mathematics, computer science, or engineering, you may still be considered for a PhD in theoretical physics.

5. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in theoretical physics?

A PhD in theoretical physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Many graduates go on to become researchers, professors, or postdoctoral fellows at universities or research institutions. Others may work in industries such as finance, data science, or technology, where strong analytical and problem-solving skills are highly valued. Additionally, a PhD in theoretical physics can also lead to careers in government agencies or consulting firms.