Confusion (5) from Weinberg's QFT.(invariance of S-matrix)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Lorentz invariance of the S-matrix in section 3.3. The definition of this invariance involves a unitary operator acting on both in and out states, but the lack of concrete examples makes it difficult to understand. The conversation also mentions a different definition of Lorentz invariance that is purely algebraic and does not involve states. There is also discussion about how the unitary operator acts on multi-particle states and specific examples are given by Weinberg. Despite this, there is still a feeling of confusion that cannot be fully expressed at the moment.
kof9595995
At the beginning of section 3.3, he says lorentz invariance of S-matrix means the same unitary operator acts on both in and out states. I feel a bit blur about this since he doesn't give any concrete example. Say the eletron-positron annihilation process, we have 1 electron, 1 positron, 0 photon as in state, and 0 electron, 0 positron, 2 photons as out state, we know lorentz group has different representations on electrons and photons, then how shall we have the same unitary operator of both in and out states in such process?

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer a different definition of the Lorentz invariance of scattering. This definition is purely algebraical, does not involve states, and is applied directly to the S-operator:

[tex] U_0(\Lambda, a) S U_0^{-1}(\Lambda, a) = S [/tex]

where [itex] U_0 [/itex] is the non-interacting representation of the Poincare group.

Eugene.

The in/out states are multi-particle states, so the unitary operator acting on them is actually an operator acting on a product of different (sub)spaces. For example, the unitary operator corresponding to a photon acts trivially (no change) on a subspace of an electron representation.

I don't have the book with me, but I think several times Weinberg gives explicit examples of [itex] U(\lambda,a) [/itex] acting on states with [itex] \sum_{\sigma'}D_{\sigma,\sigma'} \psi_\sigma [/itex] where the D matrix correspond to the specific representation of the Lorentz Group.

Thank you all, but somehow I still get a strange feeling somewhere which I can't express clearly. Perhaps I'll come back to this later.

Related to Confusion (5) from Weinberg's QFT.(invariance of S-matrix)

1. What is the significance of the invariance of the S-matrix in Weinberg's QFT?

The S-matrix, or scattering matrix, is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory that describes the probabilities of particles interacting and changing their states. Invariance of the S-matrix refers to the fact that it remains the same regardless of the choice of coordinates or reference frame. This is significant because it allows for the formulation of physical laws that are independent of the observer's perspective.

2. How does invariance of the S-matrix relate to symmetries in QFT?

Invariance of the S-matrix is closely related to the concept of symmetries in QFT. Symmetries are mathematical transformations that leave the physical laws unchanged. The invariance of the S-matrix under these transformations ensures that the physical laws are unchanged, which is a fundamental principle in physics.

3. Can you give an example of a symmetry that leads to invariance of the S-matrix?

One example of a symmetry that leads to invariance of the S-matrix is Lorentz invariance. This is the symmetry of the laws of physics under rotations and boosts in the spacetime. It ensures that the S-matrix remains the same regardless of the observer's motion or orientation.

4. How does the invariance of the S-matrix affect the predictions of QFT?

The invariance of the S-matrix plays a crucial role in making predictions in QFT. It allows for the calculation of physical observables, such as scattering amplitudes, that are independent of the observer's perspective. This is essential for making accurate predictions and testing the validity of the theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the invariance of the S-matrix in Weinberg's QFT?

While the invariance of the S-matrix is a fundamental principle in QFT, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not apply to all physical systems, such as those with strong interactions. Additionally, there are certain cases where the S-matrix may not be invariant, such as in the presence of external forces or in non-inertial reference frames.