Confusion about special case of Jacobian

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the Jacobian for multi-valued functions and how it differs from the usual definition of the Jacobian as the Jacobian matrix for derivatives. There is confusion about the two definitions and whether they correspond. The author R. Shankar defines the Jacobian as just the derivative, leading to a question about why it is labeled as the Jacobian even in the degenerate case. The thread ends with a thank you for clarification.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
An author gives a definition of a Jacobian which is probably a special case of the usual Jacobian matrix, but I don't see it.
I am used to the usual definition of the Jacobian (when the talk is about derivatives) as the Jacobian matrix for multi-valued functions. However, in the 1995 edition of the introductory book "Basic Training in Mathematics: A fitness program for science students" on page 45 , equations 2.2.22 and 2.2.12 , the author R. Shankar defines the Jacobian as follows,
Jacobian.png

I am not sure how the two definitions correspond. If it is blindingly obvious, then my apologies but I would be very grateful if one could spell it out for me anyway. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
thats the usual n variable jacobian for n=1, isn't it?

Likes vanhees71
mathwonk said:
thats the usual n variable jacobian for n=1, isn't it?
Thanks, mathwonk. Ihat is, just the derivative. why would one label the simple derivative the Jacobian even if it is the degenerate case? Like referring to points as lines, because they are degenerate lines. If there is nothing hidden behind this besides perhaps wanting to perhaps later generalize it, then my question was trying to read between the lines when there was nothing to read, leaving me looking a bit foolish. In that case, the thread ends with my thanks.

1. What is a special case of Jacobian?

A special case of Jacobian refers to a specific situation where the Jacobian matrix, which is a matrix of first-order partial derivatives, has a simpler form or structure compared to the general case.

2. Why is there confusion about the special case of Jacobian?

There is confusion about the special case of Jacobian because it is often introduced as a concept in advanced mathematics courses, and may not be fully understood by students without a strong background in linear algebra and multivariable calculus.

3. What are some examples of special cases of Jacobian?

Some examples of special cases of Jacobian include when the function is linear, when the function is a composition of simpler functions, and when the function has a diagonal Jacobian matrix.

4. How is the special case of Jacobian used in real-world applications?

The special case of Jacobian is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze the behavior of systems with multiple variables. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the special case of Jacobian?

Some common misconceptions about the special case of Jacobian include thinking that it only applies to linear functions, or that it is only relevant in theoretical mathematics. In reality, the special case of Jacobian has practical applications in various fields and can be applied to non-linear functions as well.