Conjugacy and Stabilizers in Group Actions

• Thread starter fishturtle1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for two parts. The first part demonstrates that a group is equal to the intersection of its subgroups and the second part involves showing that a normal subgroup acts transitively on a set by conjugation. The speaker also asks for a hint on how to solve the second part, which is later provided.
fishturtle1
Homework Statement
The problem is two parts:

i) Let ##X## be a finite ##G##-set , and let ##H \le G## act transitively on ##X##. Then ##G = HG_x## for each ##x \in X##.

ii) Show that the Frattini argument follows from i).
Relevant Equations
Relevant equations:

Frattini Argument: Let ##K## be a normal subgroup of a finite group ##G##. If ##P## is a Sylow ##p##-subgroup of ##K## (for some prime ##p##), then $$G = KN_G(P).$$

##X## is a finite ##G##-set means that ##G## acts on ##X## and both ##X## and ##G## are finite.

##G_x = \lbrace g \in G : g\cdot x = x \rbrace##
Attempt at solution:

Proof of i): Let ##x \in X##. Its clear ##G \supseteq HG_x##. Let ##g \in G##.Then there is ##y \in X## such that ##g \cdot x = y##. Since ##H## acts transitively on ##X##, there is ##h \in H## such that ##h \cdot x = y##. So, ##g \cdot x = h \cdot x##. This gives $$(h^{-1}g)\cdot x = x$$ Hence, ##g = h(h^{-1}g) \in HG_x## and we can conclude ##G = HG_x##. []

For ii), let ##X = \lbrace gPg^{-1} : g \in G\rbrace##. Then ##G## acts on ##X## by conjugation and ##N_G(P)## is the stabilizer of ##P##. But I'm not sure if ##K## acts transitively on ##X##. I know I haven't used the fact that ##K## is a normal subgroup of ##G##. Can I have a hint on how to solve ii), please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it?

Proof of ii): Let ##X = \lbrace gPg^{-1} : g \in G \rbrace##. Then ##G## acts on ##X## by conjugation. If ##g \in G##, then ##gPg^{-1} \le gKg^{-1} = K## since ##K## is a normal subgroup of ##G##. Hence, ##gPg^{-1}## is a Sylow p-subgroup of ##K##. So there is ##k \in K## such that ##kPk^{-1} = gPg^{-1}##. In other words, ##K## acts transitively on ##X##. Moreover, ##N_G(P)## is the stabilizer of ##P##. By i),
$$G = KN_G(P).$$
[]

Likes member 587159

1. What is Frattini's argument?

Frattini's argument is a mathematical proof technique that states that if a subgroup H of a group G contains all the elements that commute with a normal subgroup N of G, then the subgroup generated by H and N is equal to G.

2. How is Frattini's argument used in mathematics?

Frattini's argument is often used in group theory to prove properties of groups, such as the structure of finite groups and the existence of certain subgroups.

3. Can you provide an example of Frattini's argument in action?

One example of Frattini's argument is the proof that every finite group can be written as the direct product of its Sylow subgroups. This proof relies on Frattini's argument to show that the normalizer of a Sylow subgroup is equal to the whole group.

4. What are the key components of Frattini's argument?

The key components of Frattini's argument are the normal subgroup N, the subgroup H that contains all the elements that commute with N, and the subgroup generated by H and N. The argument relies on the fact that the normalizer of N is equal to the subgroup generated by H and N.

5. How does Frattini's argument differ from other proof techniques?

Frattini's argument is unique in that it uses the concept of a normalizer, which is not commonly used in other proof techniques. It also relies heavily on the properties of normal subgroups and their relationship with the whole group. Additionally, Frattini's argument is often used to prove more general results rather than specific cases.