Predicting DC generator response

In summary, the wind turbine will convert the power supplied by the generator into electrical energy. This energy will be used by the load.
DH2
I am creating a scale model wind turbine using a DC motor as a generator and would like to predict the motor response analytically. Generally speaking, the flow will spin the rotor (as in the turbine's), which will spin the motor, and then there will be what I'm calling the motor response, and then an output voltage and current from the motor. What I gather from various sources, though, is that there's a dynamic interaction between the shaft input and the motor response such that the original rpm and torque input at the shaft will be affected by the motor response which will create an adjusted rpm and torque input at the shaft which will be affected by the motor response and so on until it equilibrates. Is this about right? If so, how can I mathematically describe this iterative process using the original shaft inputs and the motor specifications? Furthermore, now what happens when a load is applied in series such that the generator is actually powering something?

Engineering news on Phys.org
DH2 said:
how can I mathematically describe this iterative process using the original shaft inputs and the motor specifications? Furthermore, now what happens when a load is applied in series such that the generator is actually powering something?
You must make a model as for the wind turbine, the generator and its load.
I suggest that you do this by means of Laplace transform.
Having closed/reduced some loops in the model you can calculate a steady state balance.
Just set the wind speed to something and add/subtract power to the output.

To make a model for the generator is easy, but I'm not familiar with the wind turbine ( think it's hard ).

Creating a dynamic model based on first principles is a beloved passion of many regulars on this forum. I encourage you to take the effort to do it.

However, your question is very broad. The correct answer is a differential equations course, where the last chapter is Laplace Transforms as Hesch said. You can't get that from an online forum.

Alternatively, you could use one of the many modern simulation software packages which allow you to simulate everything while understanding nothing about what you are doing. Excuse my personal bias for showing through.

Good luck.

DH2 said:
Is this about right? If so, how can I mathematically describe this iterative process using the original shaft inputs and the motor specifications? Furthermore, now what happens when a load is applied in series such that the generator is actually powering something?

hmmm

Mother Nature loves a balance.
She will establish one between power absorbed by your turbine blades and power converted to electricity by your generator.
The difference (hopefully small) divides, part is lost to friction and part goes into accelerating the machine.

So i'd set it up as an energy balance
friction loss proportional to shaft speed
power absorbed by turbine ƒ(windspeed^3 - blade speed^2)
assume some moment of inertia I for machine, its kinetic energy is ½Iω2

these two equations describe the electrical behavior of a DC machine
open circuit voltage = KΦ X RPM, where K is a constant and Φ is flux,
(hint: permanent magnet generators have constant Φ so start with one of those)
torque in ft-lbs= (same KΦ) X Armature Amps X 7.04
so a load on generator causes it to convert mechanical energy (torque X ω) into electrical energy(volts X amps) which flows to loadI think you could iterate with a finite difference loop , step = Δtime
start with assumed windspeed and shaft speed
do
calculate energy absorbed by blades from wind
calculate generator voltage
calculate generator current
calculate energy output from generator
calculate energy loss to friction
calculate net energy acceleration or deceleration of shaft in current time step
calculate new shaft speed
increment time
loop

That's a place to start.

1. How does a DC generator response to changes in load?

A DC generator responds to changes in load by adjusting its output voltage and current. When the load increases, the generator will increase its output to meet the demand. Similarly, when the load decreases, the generator will decrease its output.

2. What factors affect the response of a DC generator?

The response of a DC generator is affected by several factors, including the field current, armature resistance, and load resistance. The field current determines the strength of the magnetic field, while the armature resistance affects the flow of current. The load resistance determines the amount of current that is drawn from the generator.

3. How can the response of a DC generator be predicted?

The response of a DC generator can be predicted by using mathematical equations and models. These models take into account the various factors that affect the generator's response, such as field current, armature resistance, and load resistance. By inputting the values for these variables, the predicted response of the generator can be calculated.

4. What is the difference between transient and steady-state response in a DC generator?

The transient response of a DC generator refers to the initial adjustment of the generator's output when there is a sudden change in load. This response is temporary and occurs during the first few seconds. The steady-state response, on the other hand, refers to the long-term adjustment of the generator's output to reach a stable state after a change in load.

5. How accurate are the predictions of a DC generator's response?

The accuracy of the predictions of a DC generator's response depends on the quality of the mathematical models used and the accuracy of the input parameters. In general, these predictions are fairly accurate and are useful for understanding and designing DC generators. However, actual real-world conditions may differ from the predicted response due to various external factors.