Connecting wires in a generator

In summary, the designer made two copper coils, squished them together, and connected them to make a large coil. He attaches two magnets and spins them to create electricity. He needs a diode to connect the wires together and keep the electrical flow going outward, and he wants to know how to take it from having three wires to two.
Meseria
Hey, I am fiddling around building, basically an alternator. Well, this is what i have designed so far. I made two copper coils, then squished so they were very eliptical and then connected the two flat coils together with zip ties and made a large coil. Basically, the large coil is the two small coils connected together to make a a circle (looks like a donut).

Now i take the 12v screw driver and attach two magnets and stick them in the hole of the coil and spin them. Ok so that's how it works, nothing new or unknown here.

Now, when your coil is made of just 1 wire, you connect the two ends to the two ends on the voltmeter and it will measure the voltage. However, my setup has four wire ends because the complete circle is made up of two smaller circles. Now, if i just twist the wires together and connect em to the gator clips on my voltmeter it won't read out, because it makes the coil a single complete unit and i need them to be separate if i want to keep the magnets where they are.

So, i am pretty sure i need a diode or two in order to connect the wires together and keep the electrical flow going outward instead of back through the other cable.

I have two wires and four ends. I need to connect two ends and two ends together and then connect those to the + and - ends on my voltmeter and get a reading.
thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
i was just thinking. Is it possible to use four diodes to make this work correctly?

Say, semi-circle one has wire ends a and b, and semi-circle two has wire ends c and d.

if i connect 1 diode to each wire end and then connect the diodes of a and c and b and d together would that work in combining the two avenues into one so my voltmeter will read it correctly?

I didn't track your posts very well, but here's basic info on winding generators:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_generator

If you could post a sketch that illustrates your questions, that would be a help.

h1011v4_52_4.jpg

i want to make a delta 3 phase system.

Now, i know how i need to wire everything together, but i have a few questions.

the plan is to have A B C and have 4 coils each and i would hook it up like this. A1 -> A2 then A3, A4, C1, C2, C3, C4, B2, B3, B4, B1 goes back to tie into A1. like this

fnfig-05.jpg

Now, the part where A meets into C, do i need anything special or do i just wind them together?

Also, how do i take it from having 3 wires (A, B, C) down to two, just + and -?

Related to Connecting wires in a generator

1. How do I connect the wires in a generator?

In order to connect the wires in a generator, you will need to first identify the positive and negative terminals on the generator. Then, connect the positive wire from the generator to the positive terminal on the electrical load. Next, connect the negative wire from the generator to the negative terminal on the electrical load.

2. What size wires should I use for a generator?

The size of the wires needed for a generator will depend on the power output of the generator. Generally, thicker wires are needed for higher power output generators to ensure proper power transmission and avoid overheating. It is important to consult the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific generator being used.

3. Can I use any type of wire for a generator?

No, it is important to use wires that are specifically designed for use with generators. These wires are typically made with thicker insulation to withstand the higher levels of electricity produced by generators. Using improper wires can lead to overheating and potential safety hazards.

4. How do I ground the wires in a generator?

Grounding the wires in a generator is crucial for safety purposes. To ground the wires, you will need to connect a wire from the grounding terminal on the generator to a grounding rod or other earth connection. This helps to divert excess electricity away from the generator and prevent shocks.

5. Can I connect multiple generators together?

Yes, it is possible to connect multiple generators together to increase power output. However, it is important to ensure that the generators are properly synchronized and have the same voltage output. This can be achieved by using a synchronizing panel or hiring a professional electrician to properly connect the generators.