Conservation laws and relativistic dynamics

In summary: I believe that it is important to first introduce the student to the geometry of Minkowski space and the implied consequences this has on previously well defined quantities such as spatial and temporal intervals and simultaneity before the mathematics are introduced.
bernhard.rothenstein
do you consider that conservation laws of momentum and energy are compulsory in the derivation of the fundamental equations of relativistic dynamics

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion,... no, they are not compulsory.

Conservation laws arise from symmetries in the situation and may suggest interesting dynamical quantities. However, the lack of such symmetries shouldn't preclude the definition of relativistic dynamical quantities and the formulation of equations involving them.

bernhard.rothenstein said:
do you consider that conservation laws of momentum and energy are compulsory in the derivation of the fundamental equations of relativistic dynamics
Yes. If not, you are talking about a new theory.

But note in GR the conservation law is that of the conservation of energy-momentum, not in general energy, as energy is a frame dependent quantity and energy-momentum is frame independent.

Garth

Garth said:
But note in GR the conservation law is that of the conservation of energy-momentum, not in general energy, as energy is a frame dependent quantity and energy-momentum is frame independent.

Garth
i have in mind only the special relativity case

The fundamental equations of dynamics(equations of motion) contain (within them) the laws of conservation. We derive those equations of motion from ACTION PRINCIPLE.

regards

sam

OK Bernhard, I had a look at your paper (arxiv physics/0505025).
I am afraid, I saw no dynamical equation in it. The transformation equations of some dynamical quantities are not the "fundamental" equations of dynamics. It is the "equation of motion" like Newton's, Dirac's, Maxwell's, Schrodinger's and other's equation that represents the fundamental equations of dynamics.

In your paper, you seem to have derived (though I did not check the accuracy) the relativistic transformation of energy and momentum from strange combination of a result from SR (adding velocities) with some sort of "thought" experiment. But why bother yourself with this when the two postulates of SR can do all your work plus more without any thought (or otherwise) experiment?

regards

sam

samalkhaiat said:
OK Bernhard, I had a look at your paper (arxiv physics/0505025).
I am afraid, I saw no dynamical equation in it. The transformation equations of some dynamical quantities are not the "fundamental" equations of dynamics. It is the "equation of motion" like Newton's, Dirac's, Maxwell's, Schrodinger's and other's equation that represents the fundamental equations of dynamics.

In your paper, you seem to have derived (though I did not check the accuracy) the relativistic transformation of energy and momentum from strange combination of a result from SR (adding velocities) with some sort of "thought" experiment. But why bother yourself with this when the two postulates of SR can do all your work plus more without any thought (or otherwise) experiment?

regards

sam
thank you. all the textbooks i know, derive the transformation equations for mass, momentm and energy (i have considered that they are the fundamental equations of relativistic dynamics) from collisions, less or more complicated, not very easy to teach without mnemonic aids using conservation of momentum, mass, energy or of the center of mass. do you know a derivation of them without conservation laws?
sine ira et studio

thank you. all the textbooks i know, derive the transformation equations for mass, momentm and energy (i have considered that they are the fundamental equations of relativistic dynamics) from collisions, less or more complicated, not very easy to teach without mnemonic aids using conservation of momentum, mass, energy or of the center of mass. do you know a derivation of them without conservation laws?
sine ira et studio
All you have to do is to define the 4-velocity as U^\mu=dx^\mu/d\tau, and the 4-momentum as p=mU, where m is a scalar. Then the transformation laws of mass, momentum, and energy follow immediately.

Jackson just confuses this by an irrelevant 8 page discussion of collisions.
PMB wants to confuse it by giving mass an awkward velocity dependence.

Meir Achuz said:
All you have to do is to define the 4-velocity as U^\mu=dx^\mu/d\tau, and the 4-momentum as p=mU, where m is a scalar. Then the transformation laws of mass, momentum, and energy follow immediately.

Jackson just confuses this by an irrelevant 8 page discussion of collisions.
PMB wants to confuse it by giving mass an awkward velocity dependence.

IMO, the problem with doing the development in this way is that the student generally has no idea as to what the 4-velocity really is, why it is that the derivative must be taken with respect to proper time, or how the 4-momentum differs from regular momentum, aside from the fact that it now has an extra component. In order to get a real conceptual understanding of the framework of SR I believe it is important to get a solid grasp of the geometry of Minkowski space and the implied consequences this has on previously well defined quantities such as spatial and temporal intervals and simultenaity before the mathematics are introduced.

The main problem with the method I've proposed is that it typically takes much longer than the more traditional method, however the advantage is that the students get a much better understanding of the underlying theory and are more able to apply it to situations which are new to them.

dicerandom said:
IMO, the problem with doing the development in this way is that the student generally has no idea as to what the 4-velocity really is, why it is that the derivative must be taken with respect to proper time, or how the 4-momentum differs from regular momentum, aside from the fact that it now has an extra component..
"the student generally has no idea" only if the teacher and textbook don't explain this.

dicerandom said:
In order to get a real conceptual understanding of the framework of SR I believe it is important to get a solid grasp of the geometry of Minkowski space and the implied consequences this has on previously well defined quantities such as spatial and temporal intervals and simultenaity before the mathematics are introduced.
The math of Minkowski space is so simple and straightforward (with a good teacher and textbook) that I find students get a better understanding using math rather than handwaving grasps. I agree with Sam on this.

dicerandom said:
IMO,
The main problem with the method I've proposed is that it typically takes much longer than the more traditional method, however the advantage is that the students get a much better understanding of the underlying theory and are more able to apply it to situations which are new to them.
Where do you propose your method?
Also, what is IMO?

Related to Conservation laws and relativistic dynamics

1. What are conservation laws?

Conservation laws are fundamental principles in physics that state certain quantities, such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum, remain constant in a closed system. This means that these quantities cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed.

2. How do conservation laws relate to relativistic dynamics?

Relativistic dynamics is the study of how objects move and interact at high velocities, close to the speed of light. Conservation laws are still applicable in these situations, but they must be modified to take into account the effects of relativity.

3. What is the conservation of energy principle?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In relativistic dynamics, this principle is modified to include the concept of mass-energy equivalence, where mass and energy can be converted into each other.

4. How does the conservation of momentum apply in relativistic dynamics?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In relativistic dynamics, this principle is modified to include the concept of relativistic momentum, which takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high velocities.

5. What is the connection between conservation laws and symmetries in physics?

Conservation laws are closely linked to symmetries in physics. In fact, Noether's theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conservation law. For example, the conservation of energy is a result of the time symmetry of the laws of physics.