Conservation of electric potential energy

In summary, the problem involves two particles, a proton and an alpha particle, initially moving towards each other with a speed of 3.6×10−3c. The goal is to find their distance of closest approach using the equation 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 m v^2 = q(kq / r). However, this equation does not take into account the conservation of momentum, which is always true even in the absence of collisions. In the center of mass frame, the particles will stop at the point of closest approach, but in the lab frame, they cannot both stop at the same time without violating conservation of momentum. This means that the particles will still have some velocity at the point of closest
xSpartanCx

Homework Statement

An alpha particle is a nucleus of helium. It has twice the charge and four times the mass of the proton. When they were very far away from each other, but headed toward directly each other, a proton and an alpha particle each had an initial speed of 3.6×10−3c, where c is the speed of light. What is their distance of closest approach? There are two conserved quantities. Make use of both of them. (c = 3.00 × 10^8 m/s, k = 1/4πε0 = 8.99 × 10^9 N · m2/C2, e = 1.60 × 10^-19 C, mproton = 1.67 x 10^-27kg)

Homework Equations

1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 m v^2 = q(kq / r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation to get 9.46 * 10^-14 as the radius, but that is not the correct answer. I made the assumption that the electric potential far away is 0 and that when the distance is closest they have no velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
xSpartanCx said:
and that when the distance is closest they have no velocity.
That would violate momentum conservation.

mfb said:
That would violate momentum conservation.
How would I incorporate the conservation of momentum into this? There don't seem to be any collisions.

Last edited:
Momentum is always conserved, it does not matter if there are collisions or not. The particles will move at the point of closest approach, but what can you say about their relative motion? That will modify the energy balance, and conservation of momentum allows to find the additional parameter you have to consider.

mfb said:
Momentum is always conserved, it does not matter if there are collisions or not. The particles will move at the point of closest approach, but what can you say about their relative motion? That will modify the energy balance, and conservation of momentum allows to find the additional parameter you have to consider.
Shouldn't they get closer and closer, until they both have turned all of their kinetic energy into electric potential, then the electric energy converts back into velocity in the opposite direction? Like two magnets in a tube moving towards each other?

I don't know much about this, my physics professor never teaches us anything that he puts onto the online homework. I already have the correct answer, because it was a multiple choice and I guessed, but I don't know how to get it.

xSpartanCx said:
Shouldn't they get closer and closer, until they both have turned all of their kinetic energy into electric potential, then the electric energy converts back into velocity in the opposite direction?
In the center of mass frame, that happens. In the lab frame, they cannot both stop at the same time, that would violate conservation of momentum.

The helium nucleus is much heavier than the proton. Imagine a large truck hitting a car moving in the opposite direction. The car won't stop the truck. You do not have a direct contact here, but that does not matter - the conservation laws still apply.

mfb said:
In the center of mass frame, that happens. In the lab frame, they cannot both stop at the same time, that would violate conservation of momentum.

The helium nucleus is much heavier than the proton. Imagine a large truck hitting a car moving in the opposite direction. The car won't stop the truck. You do not have a direct contact here, but that does not matter - the conservation laws still apply.
Ah, I see. So I would use m1v1 - m2v2 = -vf(m1+m2) to get the velocity where they are not moving relative to each other, then use their kinetic energies to find what the electric potential is and then the distance between them. Thanks!

Right.

What is conservation of electric potential energy?

Conservation of electric potential energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total amount of electric potential energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is also known as electrostatic potential energy and is measured in joules (J). The closer two charged objects are, the higher their electric potential energy will be.

How is conservation of electric potential energy related to conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a broad principle that states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant. Conservation of electric potential energy is a specific application of this principle, stating that the total electric potential energy in a closed electric system remains constant. This means that electric potential energy is a form of energy that cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be changed into other forms, such as kinetic energy.

What are some real-world examples of conservation of electric potential energy?

One common example of conservation of electric potential energy is a battery-powered flashlight. The chemical energy in the battery is converted into electrical energy, which is then converted into light energy. Another example is a hydroelectric dam, where the potential energy of water at a higher elevation is converted into electrical energy as it flows downhill through turbines.

How is the conservation of electric potential energy applied in everyday life?

Conservation of electric potential energy is applied in many ways in our daily lives, from powering our electronic devices to generating electricity for our homes. It is also used in various technologies, such as solar panels and wind turbines, to harness and convert energy from natural sources into usable electric energy. Understanding this principle helps us to efficiently use and conserve energy in our modern world.