Conservation of energy/Finding maximum height

In summary: You should also find that the terms for the work done by static and kinetic friction are not correct. Once you get the equation right, you can then proceed to solve it for hf.In summary, the conversation discusses using energy conservation to find the maximum height reached by a 28-kg rock rolling up a hill with a constant angle of 40 degrees. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are given as 0.75 and 0.20, respectively. The attempt at a solution involves plugging in numbers and using Newton's second law, but there are contradictory work equations and the term for static friction should be zero. It is suggested to revisit the energy conservation equation and solve for the maximum height using symbolic terms.
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

A 28-kg rock approaches the foot of a hill with a speed of 15 m/s. This hill slopes upward at a constant angle of 40.0∘ above the horizontal. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the hill and the rock are 0.75 and 0.20, respectively.

a)Use energy conservation to find the maximum height above the foot of the hill reached by the rock.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy for this problem is: PEi + KEi + Workstatic friction = PEf + KEf + Workkinetic friction

Wfriction = μmgcos(Φ)

Friction force = μmg

The Attempt at a Solution

m=28kg
vi=15m/s
Φ=40°
μs=0.75
μk=0.20

fs=0.75mgcos(Φ)
fk=0.20mgcos(Φ)

Wfs=.75mgcos(Φ)*s*cos(180)
Wfk=0.20mgcos(Φ)*s*cos(180)

plug all known variables into my equation for conservation of energy:

(.5)(28)(152)+(28)(9.8)(0)+(0.75)(28)(9.8)(cos(40))*s*(-1) = (.5)(28)(02)+(28)(9.8)(hf)+(0.20)(28)(9.8)(cos(40))*s*(-1)

which equals:

3375J - 157.65*s = 274.4*hf - 42.041*s

Then i tried to find s which is the displacement vector by doing Newton's second law

ΣF= max = wx - fk

28a = 28*9.8*sin(40°) - 0.2*28*9.8*cos(40)

28a = 134.34

a = 4.80m/s2

Then i used vf2 = v22 + 2ad, where d would be my s vector

02 = 152 + 2(4.80)d
d = -225/9.6 = -23.43 which i made positive because i just wanted the magnitude.

But then my final answer is hf = 22.18m, which isn't correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have contradictory work equations ... one says ##W=\mu mg \cos\theta## and the other says ##W=\mu mg \cos\theta s \cos\theta##
You say "s" is the displacement vector - but you have not defined it.
You have a statement for work against static friction ... shouldn't this be zero?

You should consider doing more of your work symbolically rather than plugging in numbers right away. Besides being a pain for others to follow what numbers correspond to which quantities to check the logic, it often means a lot more work since many times things will cancel out along the way when symbolic expressions are simplified. Rounding calculations along the way also introduces rounding/truncation errors and can affect your significant figures as they accumulate.

I noticed that you included a term for static friction in your energy conservation equation. Static friction does no work, since it only exists when the object is not moving. So it shouldn't be part of your energy conservation considerations.

I also noticed that you abandoned the energy conservation approach after reducing the expression to an equation with s and hf. Why? You could have expressed s in terms of hf (since they're related by trig thanks to the constant slope of the hill) and solved for hf.

I suggest that you revisit your energy conservation equation. Start by spelling out the terms symbolically. You should find that the mass at least can be canceled out.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to finding maximum height?

When an object is thrown into the air, it gains potential energy due to its increased height. This potential energy is converted from the kinetic energy the object had when it was thrown. At the maximum height, all of the initial kinetic energy is converted into potential energy, demonstrating the conservation of energy.

3. What factors affect the maximum height of an object?

The maximum height of an object is affected by the initial velocity, the angle at which it is thrown, and the force of gravity. The higher the initial velocity and the smaller the angle of throw, the higher the maximum height will be. Conversely, a higher force of gravity will result in a lower maximum height.

4. How can we calculate the maximum height of an object using conservation of energy?

To calculate the maximum height of an object using conservation of energy, we can use the equation:
Maximum height = (initial velocity)^2 / (2 x gravitational constant x sin^2(angle of throw)). This equation takes into account the conversion of kinetic energy to potential energy at the maximum height.

5. Is the conservation of energy applicable to all systems?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy applies to all closed systems. In an open system, there may be energy lost to external factors, but the total amount of energy in the universe remains constant.